what high speed gearing are you running?

30 replies to this topic
  • SurfaceToAir

Posted March 11, 2014 - 08:09 PM

The short:

I need a recommendation on taller gearing for my 2008. Freeway gearing. I'd like to cruise comfortably at 65 or 70 MPH

The long:

I've an '08 WRF with stock gearing.  The bike is plated and I am going to take it to Death Valley later this month. I am concerned about the gearing for the longer highway rides.  I have never done much extended highway riding with the bike, except for once where I rode it to work- 65 miles round trip. Most of it was 55 and up riding. I stopped on the way home to get gas- put about 1.5 gallons in the tank at that time..  Revs were too high at 65mph. Bike was happiest at 55.

To help with the gas, I just picked up a Clark 3.6 gal tank. I also plan to get some IMS fuel bottles.  I am told some of the runs we'll be on are 200 miles. ( I am not sure how I could do that on this bike with its cut down seat, but thats another topic.. )

So, to reduce the revs and get some better mileage on this trip I am going to re-gear too.  I'd like something comfortable at 65 to 70mph. Maybe just the front sprocket would be easiest and cheapest.

What are you guys running?

Any help is appreciated.

cheers!
Dustin

• flyandride

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:44 PM

I have an 09 and mine seems like it's not spinning too fast  at 65.  But I also have a wr250f that feels like it's spinning fast at 65 but I will ride it 25 miles on the highway sometimes.  

I bought a 14 tooth sprocket for the 450 but haven't put it on.  You could do that for under 20 bucks.  Do your highway ride and change back to stock when you get to DV.

• SurfaceToAir

Posted March 12, 2014 - 10:39 PM

I bought a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket, today. I figured that was a sure_cheap_fix.  For the highway/ freeway, I dont think I will be super picky through the gears- just want the top speed revs down for this trip.

I bought the bike used, and the PO gave me a 48 tooth rear. I thought about running that too or insead of the 14 too countershaft, after finding it in the box of parts I got. It could be enough to get the revs down, but I am not sure...  However, its more work to install.. So I will most likely try the 14 tooth first.

Unfortunately, I dont currently know the tooth count on the rear sprocket. I looked a bunch to find the count stamped on the current sprocket, but havent found it.. I am guessing its a 50 tooth sprocket.  I'll look some more when I get a chance. Given the 48 tooth sprocket is in the pile, I think the PO decided to go lower with the 50..

I am going to try running that new 14 tooth countershaft sprocket, and see how it goes. I have some options after- if its still too low I can swap in the 48 ( pretty sure the one on the bike now isnt smaller )...

cheers-

Dustin

Edited by SurfaceToAir, March 12, 2014 - 10:45 PM.

• stevethe

Posted March 13, 2014 - 05:36 AM

The stock rear should be a 50. Going one tooth on the front and a 48 on the back should still be good. I am also going to Death Valley at the end of the month but riding two up on a BMW 800. You are trucking the bike down or riding ?

• bg10459

Posted March 13, 2014 - 08:33 AM

I ran 15/48 on my '03 (stock was 14/50, different internal gearing changed it to 13/50 in '05-'06?)  It worked OK, but put a load on the clutch.  For street use, you should be OK with 14/48.  Maybe upgrade to heavier clutch springs.

Edited by bg10459, March 13, 2014 - 08:35 AM.

• SurfaceToAir

Posted March 13, 2014 - 08:55 AM

The stock rear should be a 50. Going one tooth on the front and a 48 on the back should still be good. I am also going to Death Valley at the end of the month but riding two up on a BMW 800. You are trucking the bike down or riding ?

@stevethe- Yeah, going with some big group. Some friends have gone a few times before and I am tagging along for this one.  We'll be there 3/28 - 3/30. I'll have the princess on a trailer. :)  If you're around for the same event, let me know!

• stevethe

Posted March 13, 2014 - 09:06 AM

@stevethe- Yeah, going with some big group. Some friends have gone a few times before and I am tagging along for this one.  We'll be there 3/28 - 3/30. I'll have the princess on a trailer. :)  If you're around for the same event, let me know!

Well we booked it at the same time. But didn't know of an event. Tried to miss the Long Beach BMW event which is a couple of weeks prior.

We might cross paths. Staying at stove pipe wells. I'll be riding a red BMW two up with the wife on back. There will also be a silver BMW with a girl riding it and her boy friend riding a WR450 that is being trucked in.

• RockerYZWR

Posted March 13, 2014 - 08:33 PM

I ran 14/45 for a little bit when I first got my bike and rode on the street a bunch. I also rode offroad a lot as well. That gearing made it pretty comfortable at 70 and topped out well past 100. Which could get scary.

I went 13/51 and haven't looked back since it makes the bike work so much better offroad and I don't have much of a need to push it past about 70.

• DunmireD001

Posted March 17, 2014 - 02:58 AM

I've always heard that 15 or 16 up front, and 43 in the rear is best for highway for a 450.

Posted March 17, 2014 - 05:55 AM

I ran 14/45 for a little bit when I first got my bike and rode on the street a bunch. I also rode offroad a lot as well. That gearing made it pretty comfortable at 70 and topped out well past 100. Which could get scary.

+1

14/50 will get you to 65 at mid rev's. 70 and above you would better off with 14/46, 14/45.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nicky_A

Posted March 17, 2014 - 08:57 AM

so I have a wr426 bord out to a 450. it is an 01 I think its 15/50. she is happy criuising at 55 but no higher.. id like to crusie at 65 and be at same rpms. Help!

• RockerYZWR

Posted March 17, 2014 - 08:03 PM

Help with what? The answers are in this thread. If you really have a 15 tooth front sprocket with a 50 on the rear and still need to drop some RPM, what do you think you should do?

• SurfaceToAir

Posted March 17, 2014 - 11:16 PM

I agree with the others- 13/51 is great gearing on the trail. I am bummed to change it. I'll swap it back after the trip. I'd love to have a second set of rims that I can swap in- mostly so I can easily swap gears with a quick pull of the axle..

cheers-

Dustin

Edited by SurfaceToAir, March 17, 2014 - 11:20 PM.

• Nicky_A

Posted March 18, 2014 - 09:44 AM

Help with what? The answers are in this thread. If you really have a 15 tooth front sprocket with a 50 on the rear and still need to drop some RPM, what do you think you should do?

you don't have to be a smart a about it buddy im new to this. but Im guessing if I have 15 in front. id like to go to a 48 or 47 in back. will it eat up my chain slider? and Is it even needed?

• Nicky_A

Posted March 18, 2014 - 10:29 AM

just counted the teeth and I have 14 in front and 48 in back... I need more highway speed so should I go with a 46 in back ? or 45 44? suggestions?

• stevethe

Posted March 18, 2014 - 10:35 AM

You could go to a 15 on the front. One tooth on the front is usually three or four teeth difference on the back.

• schrode

Posted March 18, 2014 - 10:39 AM

i run 15/38 on my 570. she'll cruise 70 mph all day without even trying.

• RockerYZWR

Posted March 18, 2014 - 02:46 PM

just counted the teeth and I have 14 in front and 48 in back... I need more highway speed so should I go with a 46 in back ? or 45 44? suggestions?

Didn't mean to be smart about it - when I first got my bike it was 14/42 and would stay pretty low in the RPMs up through about 75 mph.  I went with a 45 rear sprocket for awhile and it was a slight but noticeable difference - maybe 5 mph for the same RPM.  With 13/51, it's comfortable at around 55.  I don't know how the the WR426 transmission gear ratios compare to those of the 450, but you can look those up and get an idea of the difference.  The 450 has a 5th gear ratio of .84:1 - if your fifth gear is numerically higher - referred to as "geared shorter" (say .92:1 or something), your engine will spin faster with the same final drive gearing (sprockets); and if it's numerically lower - referred to as "geared taller" (say .79:1 or something), your engine will spin slower with the same final drive gearing.

If you're really after low-RPM cruising at highway speeds, a 14/42 to 45 or set-up should fit the bill without sacrificing too much off the low end.  Just keep in mind that you can have a lot of top end speed or low end acceleration (good for slow speed, technical riding), but not both to the same extent.  That's why people go with the stock gearing or something close to it a lot of times - because it offers a decent mix of both.  That's also why people change their gearing to match the conditions they're riding.  Keep in mind the rear tire size (circumference) plays a role in this, too - for equal gearing, a taller rear tire equals lower RPM/more top end speed/less acceleration, and a shorter rear tire equals higher RPM/less top end speed/more acceleration.

• fdme

Posted March 18, 2014 - 03:21 PM

I run 15/42 for street with the wr tranny works well since 1rst is still grunty enough even with tall gearing. Nice on highway rides.

• stevethe

Posted March 18, 2014 - 06:39 PM

I run 15/42 for street with the wr tranny works well since 1rst is still grunty enough even with tall gearing. Nice on highway rides.

That's tall gearing.  I run 15/43 with 17" supermoto tires for street only.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.