front brake problem

5 replies to this topic
  • cycra1

Posted January 07, 2002 - 05:18 PM

has anyone heard of the bracket that is conected to the front brake caleper breaking on 01 250F's??? Im wondering if yamaha had a recal. I was at a race and mine broke. it is the bracket that is on the caleper and that bracket bolts to the fork. The part that broke was were the pin in the center of the caleper gose. Anyone konw if you can weld cast, or any other bike that fits the same part because yamaha only sells the entire caleper? Thanks for your help.

• thumpy

Posted January 07, 2002 - 06:53 PM

By chance were you riding recently in the frozen arctic they call Massachusetts? Was the temp hovering around freezing while you were riding? Where were you riding? I walked the Uxbridge track one day during xmas vacation. The ground was frozen solid. Weather like that will do all kinds of goofy stuff to your mo-sicle.

• cycra1

Posted January 08, 2002 - 08:12 AM

yea i sure was ridding in mass!!! haha i know how you feel. it was the sunday of our first snow storm this year well 01. it was fun but almost not worth it. how dose the uxbridge track look(your talking about the mx track right)? i havent been down there in like 2 years?? is it still a good track? thanks man

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • teamtoxic

Posted January 08, 2002 - 05:17 PM

cycra, the same thing happened to me, only with my 426. From your description, it sounds like the breaking point was the same also.
I ended up trying to weld it, but couldn't get it perfect. Since this caliper "floats" on this bracket, the two shafts must be spaced VERY precisely or it will just bind up on the shafts.
Since it did't work out right, I just bought an EBC oversized rotor, it comes with the bracket you're talking about, and the braking power is way better! It ran me $135 for the oversized rotor kit and new brake pads. I got it through Magic Racing in Utica, Michigan.

You'll be very happy with the oversized unit!

• cycra1

Posted January 08, 2002 - 07:00 PM

the oversized roatar sounds like were i might be heading. It just sucks becase i have a devol disk guard and ill have to get a new one. well mabey ill try fixin it and see how it hose. is that pin in the middle like half the size of the hole cuase i lost the pin ang got a new one it jst seems wierd, is there a rubber peace thats suposed to be in there too?? tnaks a lot man

• teamtoxic

Posted January 09, 2002 - 03:30 AM

I'm at school currently, so I can't go look at my bike, but I'm almost 100% that both shafts have a little rubber seal/boot/whatever you want to call it.
Also, the mount/bracket came gold anodized, so it looks very cool with the big rotor.

Good luck

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.