Uncorking wr450f

10 replies to this topic
  • Adamridesorange

Posted March 11, 2014 - 03:29 PM

I'm looking at buying a wr450f. I've been reading that stock they are kind of a dog are are really restricted for reliability and emissions reasons. If I get one I'm thinking of doing all the mods such as the grey wire mod, throttle stop, jetting, pipe, ect. How much does this increase performance, as I want a 450 to act like a real 450 and not an xr 250? And being as restricted as they are I've heard it helps with reliability...if it's uncorked and putting upwards of 45-50 hp, would it shorten the life span of the piston and rings? Just curious.
Thanks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 11, 2014 - 04:29 PM

1,689,725,235 posts on this subject already. 

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 11, 2014 - 04:43 PM

I'm looking at buying a wr450f. I've been reading that stock they are kind of a dog are are really restricted for reliability and emissions reasons. If I get one I'm thinking of doing all the mods such as the grey wire mod, throttle stop, jetting, pipe, ect. How much does this increase performance, as I want a 450 to act like a real 450 and not an xr 250? And being as restricted as they are I've heard it helps with reliability...if it's uncorked and putting upwards of 45-50 hp, would it shorten the life span of the piston and rings? Just curious.
Thanks.

Assuming you are talking about a pre '12 bike as the fuel injected bikes are even easier to uncork.  I have an '08 in the garage that I'm selling, after replacing it with a '12.  Once uncorked, jetted, grey wire, de-smogged, throttle stop removed, and a proper slip on, the bike became an absolute animal and does not disappoint. 

• Adamridesorange

Posted March 11, 2014 - 05:07 PM

Does doing this shorten the piston and ring life by a little bit as it's putting out a lot more power?
Thanks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 11, 2014 - 06:56 PM

Does doing this shorten the piston and ring life by a little bit as it's putting out a lot more power?
Thanks.

Modding a motor will not wear it out.

Using and abusing it will, stock or modded. 

It's not an issue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted March 11, 2014 - 08:34 PM

Thanks.

Yes almost 50 reliable Hp at the rear wheel. But your going to have to buy one and ride it !

• flyandride

Posted March 12, 2014 - 01:12 AM

Thrashing it will shorten the life of the engine as will lack of maintenance.  You'll want to do the free mods otherwise you might get blown away by someone on a clapped out 125.  

• Adamridesorange

Posted March 12, 2014 - 02:42 AM

Does anyone know the stock hp the wr is putting out?

• jimmym

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:45 AM

19 hp, according to the following article: http://motorcyclejaz...maha_WR450F.htm

• Adamridesorange

Posted March 12, 2014 - 04:31 AM

I've read that article and that seems awfully low for a 450, but that's probably why they are so reliable..I'd think if they are pushing 50hp with mods, that it would Atleast affect reliability a little bit..

• JokerWR

Posted March 16, 2014 - 07:07 AM

I have recently acquired an 08 I was disappointed at first but had to wait a while till I put some more time on it as the PO only rode it a few times and it had less than 200 miles on it and I figured I should break it in a little more before opening it up. Yesterday was my first ride after doing so and I can not believe how much better the bike not only runs but rides. It feels lighter and Soooooooooo much peppier do to the power. Here is what I did.

1. Applied AIS removal kit.
2. Grey wire.
3. JD Jet Kit.
4. RD fuel screw.
4. O - ring mod.
5. Removed air snorkel.
6. Pro - circuit full system.

Honestly it not only runs but rides like a complete different bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.