Grey oil, propably no coolant leak

14 replies to this topic
  • Jon E

Posted March 10, 2014 - 03:00 PM

The oil is getting grey after only 200 kilometers. Not brown or white, but grey. Oil smells exhaust or gas, and looks a little bit thin.

The level on the radiator and dipstick is constant. I have changed the oil many times because of the grey color, and at last i gave up and had a full top end rebuild to eliminate coolant leakage worries, with new gaskets, piston and rings. That did not help, eighter..!

My daily rides is only two short (and slow driving) trips on the road to my work in slightly cold weather (5 - 15 degrees here in Norway). 10 kilometer (and 10 minutes) eatch way. Is it possebly condensation? Try another oil type? Any ideas, anybody?

The problem seemes to start when i changed to this oil, but can be coincidentally:

http://www.biltema.n...je-10W40-36958/

I'm usin red Etylenbasert Glykol coolant. The bike has only 6000 kilometers, and is a 2009 model.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg

Edited by Jon E, March 10, 2014 - 03:44 PM.

• Bazuka Joe

Posted March 10, 2014 - 04:30 PM

Have you tried changing oil? If it started when you switched to that oil and there is no coolant leak, seems like that would seem to be the culprit

• tang426

Posted March 10, 2014 - 04:34 PM

Looks like water did you check breather hoses.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 10, 2014 - 05:17 PM

Water pump seal is leaking into the engine. 

Doesn't take much to turn the oil

You think your water level is not dropping, but 15cc would not show up by visual inspection, and that would turn the oil milky. 

• jojo1224

Posted March 10, 2014 - 05:37 PM

That oil looks watered down, if you let the old oil sit for a while does it separate?

• Jon E

Posted March 10, 2014 - 11:21 PM

I have added 2 new photos of the "separation" after 24 hours. One With blitz. It is more like one millimeter darker ring in the upper edges of the glass, not so much inner circle. It will not separate more. If the oil stay for weeks, it will still look the same.

I am changing oil today to Havoline semi syntitic 10-40 motorcycle oil, just to try. Mayby i should get he oil analyzed, to get some clearity too. What about pressure testing the coolant system. I dont know what end i should start searching the problem..!

Attached Thumbnails

• a.jpg
  • b.jpg

Edited by Jon E, March 10, 2014 - 11:24 PM.

• mebgardner

Posted March 11, 2014 - 06:36 AM

KoolAid has the correct solution.

Change the water pump seal, or pump, or both.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Water pump seal is leaking into the engine. 

Doesn't take much to turn the oil

You think your water level is not dropping, but 15cc would not show up by visual inspection, and that would turn the oil milky. 

The water pump cannot leak coolant into the engine oil.  The coolant seal is separated from the oil seal on the shaft by an air gap that allows coolant to escape.  Any coolant contamination is most likely from a leaking head gasket.  Other possibilities include the seal at the base gasket and the right side crankcase cover, or cracks in the head, cylinder, crankcase, or right side cover.

Frankly, the sludge in the valve cover looks more like water than coolant.

• Jon E

Posted March 11, 2014 - 09:32 AM

Thank you grayracer513, that was my understanding too. Will a pressure test of the coolant system reveal any leakage 100% for sure?

• grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2014 - 11:07 AM

It should, yes. But things can sometimes change with temperature, too, so try it both warmed up and cold.

• mebgardner

Posted March 11, 2014 - 12:06 PM

The water pump cannot leak coolant into the engine oil.  The coolant seal is separated from the oil seal on the shaft by an air gap that allows coolant to escape.  Any coolant contamination is most likely from a leaking head gasket.  Other possibilities include the seal at the base gasket and the right side crankcase cover, or cracks in the head, cylinder, crankcase, or right side cover.

Is there any possibility of coolant leakage from past an "O" ring at the oil filter cover?  There are, what, 3 underneath that cover?  I'm thinking "easier to screw up" is more likely scenario...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 11, 2014 - 12:09 PM

My bad

• grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2014 - 01:21 PM

Is there any possibility of coolant leakage from past an "O" ring at the oil filter cover?  There are, what, 3 underneath that cover?  I'm thinking "easier to screw up" is more likely scenario...

No coolant runs near or through the oil filter cover, so, no, not possible.

• mebgardner

Posted March 12, 2014 - 07:05 AM

Where does the coolant or oil go to escape when this occurs? Some weep hole?

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2014 - 07:20 AM

Where does the coolant or oil go to escape when this occurs? Some weep hole?

"The" weep hole, under the water pump, yes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.