2009 YZ450F common problems, issues, weaknesses?

8 replies to this topic
  • dirtdude723

Posted March 08, 2014 - 09:39 PM

I just picked up a 2009 YZ450F and thought I would see if they are known to have any particular problems, about all bikes have one or two so I figured this would be the place to find out.

I did a couple searches to find common problems, but didn't see anything and I also looked thru the FAQs for 2009 specific stuff, didn't see anything major there either.

I don't have any problems with the bike, runs fine and strong, just wanted to see if there is anything I need to check out before I start racing it this year.

Thanks

• WGP

Posted March 09, 2014 - 11:30 AM

cam chain stretches , replace annually

• dirtdude723

Posted March 09, 2014 - 06:57 PM

Well that should be easy enough to hear when going bad, will get louder generally

Does a manual cam chain tensioner help any or needed?  I know several dirtbikes benefit from one, DRZ400 in particular

Like I said I don't have any issues with mine, just wanted to see if there is anything I should look for or be aware to watch for

It RIPS, has more power than anyone ever really needs. The previous owner loaded it up with aftermarket pices; wheels with red hubs, GYTR exhaust, 1 1/8 fatbar, ASV levers, aftermarket rotors, aluminum rear rotor guard, Boysen clutch cover, billet aluminum magnetic oil cover and a bunch of billet aluminm engine plugs and covers. Obviously it was his baby because whoever sunk some $$$ into it in aftermarket pieces.

Edited by dirtdude723, March 09, 2014 - 07:50 PM.

• phillybob

Posted March 09, 2014 - 08:17 PM

Definitely make sure the free piston has either the hole drilled in them or replaced with the aluminum ones.

I smashed 4 of them before I found out the remedy for it.

Also mine did not like straight av gas ,stalling ,hard to start ,real finiky.

half 93 pump gas half 100LL works best.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hoosier-Daddy

Posted March 11, 2014 - 02:10 PM

Pretty short list. I like the sound of that.

• Yzflier977

Posted March 13, 2014 - 04:34 PM

My personal preferences are swap the '09 CDI ignition box for either a 2006 one or for even more aggressive bottom end go to the 2003 ignition box. Either are good upgrades and helps with low end throttle response. I'm also a big fan of the 9 oz GYRT. Helps minimize slow speed stalling and helps smooth out the power. 2nd on the free piston mod. Broke mine and replaced with aluminum ones. Mucho better. Definitely check the valves before you ride it too much, just in case.... Sterring stem bearing have a tendency to wear pre-maturely also. Cam chain is like $25 bucks and huge piece of mind. Don't wait for it to stretch and jump time = expensive. Other than that these bikes are awesome and almost bullet proof. I also swapped the OEM throttle tube for a quick turn one. Easier to ride, for me at least.

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted March 13, 2014 - 05:10 PM

My personal preferences are swap the '09 CDI ignition box for either a 2006 one or for even more aggressive bottom end go to the 2003 ignition box. Either are good upgrades and helps with low end throttle response. I'm also a big fan of the 9 oz GYRT. Helps minimize slow speed stalling and helps smooth out the power. 2nd on the free piston mod. Broke mine and replaced with aluminum ones. Mucho better. Definitely check the valves before you ride it too much, just in case.... Sterring stem bearing have a tendency to wear pre-maturely also. Cam chain is like $25 bucks and huge piece of mind. Don't wait for it to stretch and jump time = expensive. Other than that these bikes are awesome and almost bullet proof. I also swapped the OEM throttle tube for a quick turn one. Easier to ride, for me at least.

May be a stupid question but what " free piston" and "aluminum ones" are you guys talking about?

• 1quickTPI

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:40 PM

May be a stupid question but what " free piston" and "aluminum ones" are you guys talking about?

it's a part inside your forks that are made of plastic and tend to break if fork oil gets past them.

I just googled it, "free piston mod yz450"

• grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2014 - 09:42 PM

In Common Threads, under Chassis:

http://www.smartperf.../YZMODASSEM.htm

The problem:

http://www.thumperta...-kyb-sss-forks/

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.