Anyone using a Acerbis 4.1 or 5.3 gal tank on there 2013-2014 XC-W 250-300 ?

Feal free to chime in here. I am going to order the 5.3 (I think). I like the shrouded tanks because I won't need to transfer the shrouds over when swapping tanks. If I am going to buy a big tank I want at least a extra gallon and these are looking real good right now ! You can still run a fan kit too ?

IMG_5637.pngIMG_6935.png

5.3 gal

IMG_5140.jpg

4.1 gal in black

IMG_7072.jpg

Edited by Rearwheelin

Its so funny.  I called Acerbis about a year ago and told them that I needed a tank that would give me 100 ,ile range.  I told them the 3 gallon was too small and the 5.3 was too big.  The guy on the other end said "this is kind of ironic, we were thinking the same thing so we just submitted plans to our main design office in Italy to see if they can build it.....but we were unsure if there would be any consumer demand and then you called.  You're the only one outside of the company that knows so don't tell anyone on any forums just in case the engineering department vetos it".  So like a good soldier I didn't say a word and its really cool to see them do it.  I'm ordering one tomorrow and will post a report as soon as I can  ?

Edited by andrew34
  • Like 2

Its so funny. I called Acerbis about a year ago and told them that I needed a tank that would give me 100 ,ile range. I told them the 3 gallon was too small and the 5.3 was too big. The guy on the other end said "this is kind of ironic, we were thinking the same thing so we just submitted plans to our main design office in Italy to see if they can build it.....but we were unsure if there would be any consumer demand and then you called. You're the only one outside of the company that knows so don't tell anyone on any forums just in case the engineering department vetos it". So like a good soldier I didn't say a word and its really cool to see them do it. I'm ordering one tomorrow and will post a report as soon as I can ?

That's awesome ! I am glade they built 2 big tanks to choose from. I agree with you that a 3-3.3 gal increase isn't worth the money when you have a 2.6 already. The 5.3 is so big it's funny ! It will allow me to connect way more trails than I could possible do before. The 4.1 size is perfect IMHO . The 5.3 is to go the extra 20 miles across the desert to hit the trail that you can't get to with the 4.1 ?

That's awesome ! I am glade they built 2 big tanks to choose from. I agree with you that a 3-3.3 gal increase isn't worth the money when you have a 2.6 already. The 5.3 is so big it's funny ! It will allow me to connect way more trails than I could possible do before. The 4.1 size is perfect IMHO . The 5.3 is to go the extra 20 miles across the desert to hit the trail that you can't get to with the 4.1 ?

But that extra gallon could come in mighty important when you really do need it! Ill be mounting the 5.3 as I plan on doing some big distances in the future.....

• Like 1

But that extra gallon could come in mighty important when you really do need it! Ill be mounting the 5.3 as I plan on doing some big distances in the future.....

now I can pack less fuel ! Room for my margarita machine now !

102_1036.jpg

Edited by Rearwheelin
  • Like 1

Got mounted and filled ! Holds 5.3 gal as advertised . Very well built tank and supper easy to swap between the stock one, excellent fit ! Will see if it does it's job in the Dez in a few hours ?IMG_2879.jpgIMG_9604.jpg

Edited by Rearwheelin

you guys mentioned you CAN run the cooling fan with these Acerbis tanks, can you run radiator braces that have the built-in mounts for the KTM cooling fan with them as well?

Just want to try and make sure all that will work before I spend the $$$ on it, I'm going to pick up my 2014 300 XC-W today ..... figure I ought to have it set up for the summer by the time the snow melts lol.

you guys mentioned you CAN run the cooling fan with these Acerbis tanks, can you run radiator braces that have the built-in mounts for the KTM cooling fan with them as well ?

The tank is designed with room for rad braces but no braces needed. The tank is solid and will protect your radiators . The radiators do not use there outer side bolt so only the two bolts holding the rads on the frame is needed. To answer the question if there is room for the rad brace mounted fan I would say yes as long as the placement of the fan is in the same area as a factory mounted fan. Edited by Rearwheelin

Managed to get 80 miles of hilly faster paced desert riding in today. We did a bunch of hill climbs , like tractoring up in 3rd WFO for 500-700 feet digging in deep sucking the fuel hills ! About 15 times . When the tank is full you immediately notice the weight . The bike seems more stable at higher speeds and needs extra effort to wheelie . The size you notice straight away , standing or sitting you know it's there. This tank will take a little out of the bikes maneuvering capabilities but will not stop me getting from point a-b in really extreme technical trails, in fact I think it helps keep the front end down when going up really steep climbs. I really like this tank ! I'm guessing my range is about 150 miles on average with the 5.3 . This is the fuel left after my ride.

IMG_5173.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

Edited by Rearwheelin

Ok, the fuel in the above pics equals 1.6 gal. measured what I drained out into my 2.5 gal can in this pic. That means I got 21.62 mpg !!! Lol the hill climbs and faster speeds drain it fast ! That means I can do 118 miles on this tank at minimum running 60:1 motorx and spec jetting.

IMG_0437.jpg

Edited by Rearwheelin

Got my tank mounted up on the XCW but didn't get out today (had problems getting my XC ready for Idaho this weekend  :banghead: ).  The thing is a monstrosity!!!  Oddly enough it really doesn't effect the riding position at all until you put your nuts on the gas cap and simulate sticking a leg out like your going through a rutted turn.  I'm gonna take both bikes to the track on Wednesday and I'll be able to give you guys an accurate opinion on how I like the 4.1 vs stock tank.  Stay tuned  ?

• Like 1

Got my tank mounted up on the XCW but didn't get out today (had problems getting my XC ready for Idaho this weekend :banghead: ). The thing is a monstrosity!!! Oddly enough it really doesn't effect the riding position at all until you put your nuts on the gas cap and simulate sticking a leg out like your going through a rutted turn. I'm gonna take both bikes to the track on Wednesday and I'll be able to give you guys an accurate opinion on how I like the 4.1 vs stock tank. Stay tuned ?

yep , your nuts get more air flow ha ha .... I have the tall EE seat with it, seems to be a good combo