When to replace Wr450f piston and rings?!

Yamaha WR450F Engine Pistons

63 replies to this topic
  • Adamridesorange

Posted March 11, 2014 - 03:44 PM

So you don't think the wr fully restricted would be more reliable then the wr fully uncorked?

• Adamridesorange

Posted March 11, 2014 - 03:57 PM

What also makes me believe an uncorked WR would be Atleast a little less reliable is..an uncorked wr450 is putting out the power close or the same to a yz450f, and a yz450f trail riding usually lasts 100 hrs according to my neighbor that has one and it's usually ready for new parts at that time, so I'd think a WR uncorked putting out about the same power with a very similar designed motor would be about the same..? Just curious..

• Adamridesorange

Posted March 12, 2014 - 05:25 PM

Do any of you guys think 600-1000 hrs on a top end is possible in any way? Someone on another post is telling me they have gone as far as 1000 hrs and 25,000 miles on a top end....

• stevethe

Posted March 12, 2014 - 06:48 PM

Typing fingers sized up.

• Adamridesorange

Posted March 13, 2014 - 05:56 AM

So are you saying it's BS? I'm thinking that it is...
I'm just trying to end the confusion between two different threads, on this one people are telling me to do it around 200 hrs, and then this forum people are saying 300+ hrs can easily be done on a WR.. http://www.thumperta...ours-on-engine/
I'm not trying to start an argument I'm just confused because I'm getting completely different numbers from two different places...

• stevethe

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:14 AM

So are you saying it's BS? I'm thinking that it is...
I'm just trying to end the confusion between two different threads, on this one people are telling me to do it around 200 hrs, and then this forum people are saying 300+ hrs can easily be done on a WR.. http://www.thumperta...ours-on-engine/
I'm not trying to start an argument I'm just confused because I'm getting completely different numbers from two different places...

I don't think anyone can know for sure. 

WR450"s are street bikes in other countries and go miles and miles. I've heard of 40,000 miles. Just like any street bike or a DRZ for that matter. So it would depend on if your racing or at red line or not.

Have you ever looked at the manual on a race bike. When I had CR's they recommended replacing everything but the frame for the third race. Clutch cables, throttle cables etc.. I never did it.

• Adamridesorange

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:33 AM

So my understanding is that riding on the road as a commuter is a lot easier on the motor as even trail riding..?
And trail riding isn't always that easy on a motor as the terrain opens up and you get that blast of adrenaline to go fast and let the motor sing, or when your messing around with your buddies racing them to see who's faster, or big hill climbs to see if you can make it up it....you don't see any of that on the road...

• stevethe

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:41 AM

No the road should be easier however both of my bikes are run hard. The supermoto gets RPM'd in and out of corners and the dirt WR see's monster full throttle hill climbs a 1,000 feet high.

• Adamridesorange

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:45 AM

Yeah but I mean as a normal commuter in other countries, I doubt people are revving these things out if they are getting 40,000 miles out of them.. They are most likely just putting around and running tall gearing so when they are cruising at higher speeds they aren't running high rpms?

• Adamridesorange

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:52 AM

And as a commuter the bikes are probably left stock, where they are very mellow for a 450 since they are so corked up, not allowing much heat and wear on the motor..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:00 AM

I don't think it's heat on a water cooled bike. Just shear RPM's that might wear out pistons and rods over time.

• Adamridesorange

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:04 AM

Alright I see. And do you know if a uncorked WR pulls more rpms and revs higher than a stock corked up WR?

• stevethe

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:29 AM

Alright I see. And do you know if a uncorked WR pulls more rpms and revs higher than a stock corked up WR?

Ah I had a UN-corked brand new one. You have to put the GYTR kit on or they are UN-ride able.  I would not worry about UN-corking one. You could rev the piss out of either one but you would not enjoy one without a GYTR kit. They cost about $40.-$50 bucks.

• stevethe

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:30 AM

Remember you'll have to change your screen name to Adamridesbluenow.

• Adamridesorange

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:35 AM

Why didn't you like the GYTR kit? And haha yeah that is true!

• Adamridesorange

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:38 AM

Sorry I read that wrong, I though you said it's un-rideable with one.. Ik ik I suck at reading haha

• Adamridesorange

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:49 AM

And do you have any experience of when the piston should be replaced?

• stevethe

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:50 AM

If you buy one change out that defective base valve in the front forks.

• Adamridesorange

Posted March 13, 2014 - 08:05 AM

Alright, and what has your experience been with the piston and rings?

• stevethe

Posted March 13, 2014 - 09:09 AM

Had over 12,000 miles on the supermoto everything looked fine. I usually pull apart bikes to make them faster.

I think you can ride the wheels off of them and not worry about it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.