2008 yz450f loss of compression

3 replies to this topic
  • sturgill_252

Posted March 05, 2014 - 10:31 AM

Bike jus had a new top end rebuild along with cam chain and bike ran great for 2 rides and i started it with my hand it has less power and bogs some. i havent cranked it since the day at the track. my opinion i think it is something to do with the auto decompressioner. it doesnt close quickly. when i wire it open the bike has so much compression i cant kick it over.and it also jus had intake valves.

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2014 - 02:00 PM

Could be a cam timing problem.  The AD mechanism doesn't "close" at all while cranking, and is fully active until 700 RPM, at which point it disengages.  There is virtually nothing that ever goes wrong with the device.  However, the system is dependent on cam timing, and if the exhaust cam becomes one tooth retarded (not rotated forward far enough), the bike will have nearly no compression at cranking speeds.  That would also account for the lack of power.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sturgill_252

Posted March 10, 2014 - 08:16 PM

Could be a cam timing problem.  The AD mechanism doesn't "close" at all while cranking, and is fully active until 700 RPM, at which point it disengages.  There is virtually nothing that ever goes wrong with the device.  However, the system is dependent on cam timing, and if the exhaust cam becomes one tooth retarded (not rotated forward far enough), the bike will have nearly no compression at cranking speeds.  That would also account for the lack of power.

Thanks i pulled the head and discovered it was a broke valve spring. If you could read my other post about my practice bike and help if possible i would appreciate it sir.

• grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2014 - 06:44 AM

If you want me to look at something, post a link.  I'm not inclined to search for it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.