YZ 450 dripping oil.

13 replies to this topic
  • Dirt Bike Crazy

Posted March 05, 2014 - 06:59 AM

My buddy has a YZ 450 that he picked up a few months back.  He got it and filled it up with oil and stuck about 1.5 - 2L in there.  After figuring out it was too much he drained what he didn't need and that was that.  Well after running it oil started coming out of an orifice in the head and onto the radiator where it dripped down to the exhaust (we did not notice this at the time).  Note to self: always have a fire extinguisher ready.  Anyway after we got the fire out we rode fast for awhile thinking that it would stop.  We've been riding for several months now and it still does this.  We checked the oil (he found the dipstick lol) and it has what its supposed to in there.  Thanks in advance!       

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2014 - 07:45 AM

The "orifice" doesn't belong there:

http://www.thumperta...s/#entry1246657

• billygildark5007

Posted March 05, 2014 - 08:33 AM

What years the bike? Older 450s have a Manuel decompression cap on the front of the head right behind the radiator that can blow out sometimes.

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2014 - 08:50 AM

What years the bike? Older 450s have a Manuel decompression cap on the front of the head right behind the radiator that can blow out sometimes.

Didn't read my post, eh? ;)

• billygildark5007

Posted March 05, 2014 - 09:36 AM

No sir I didn't read the link until now. You seem to be the most knowledgeable one on this site. I would love to be able to contact you for future tech support/advice. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2014 - 10:11 AM

Post your questions.  Answers will emerge.

• Dirt Bike Crazy

Posted March 05, 2014 - 12:04 PM

Ok so there is supposed to be a plug there?  Here is the orifice that I'm talking about. 71241a.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • billygildark5007

Posted March 05, 2014 - 12:12 PM

Yes there is

• Dirt Bike Crazy

Posted March 05, 2014 - 12:31 PM

Ok bike is an 03.  Does that still mean there is just supposed to be a plug there or is there some sort of decompression device supposed to be there

• Dirt Bike Crazy

Posted March 05, 2014 - 12:33 PM

Oh wait a minute its a decompression plug???

• billygildark5007

Posted March 05, 2014 - 02:07 PM

It's a plug. You probably need the bolt that holds it in to. It's pretty cheap. Should be under $20 at Yami dealer. I think they sell them to here. Check the parts store.

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2014 - 02:19 PM

Oh wait a minute its a decompression plug???

I guess you didn't read it either.  I should probably just quit.

• Mtrain730

Posted March 05, 2014 - 02:45 PM

Please don't quit gray. I'm begging you. You are appreciated. :)

• Dirt Bike Crazy

Posted March 05, 2014 - 03:20 PM

Gray, my apologies I misunderstood the article you linked too.  I thought for some reason they were only referring to 06 and later. 

BTW, just because you get some retard like my that comes in here asking stupid questions and not understanding the answer the first time doesn't mean just to stop helping people.  Just maybe not the retards. :rolleyes:  

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.