Clutch problem 2006 yz450f

7 replies to this topic
  • 88motohead88

Posted March 04, 2014 - 03:48 AM

Hey guys thanks in advance for helping, what part or parts would cause a dirtbike to skip/sputter as you slowly let the clutch out so I can buy everything I should. Riding is fine it's only starting out slowly. New springs, plates and steels already installed.

• jakerezno

Posted March 04, 2014 - 12:30 PM

Do you think it could have anything to do with your transmission?

• 88motohead88

Posted March 04, 2014 - 01:29 PM

Not sure really It shifts fine and pulls hard. It's just for a brief second right as you let the clutch out in 1st gear. I hope it's not. I don't know much about the transmission honestly other than I'm pretty sure I don't want it to be that

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2014 - 08:57 AM

Considering your new plates, one possible cause is that the cushions in the clutch basket may be shot.  If the basket can be rotated on the gear assembly at all, any free slack, they need to be replaced. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 88motohead88

Posted March 05, 2014 - 12:59 PM

It did move back and forth the slightest bit. So thats it? Replace it? Anything else while I'm in there. Thanks again for all your help

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2014 - 02:16 PM

"By the book", you'd have to replace the drive gear/basket assembly, but a Hinson basket (or similar) is less expensive, and you can buy the replacement cushions as a set from the same company the upgraded basket comes from.

• 88motohead88

Posted March 06, 2014 - 08:18 AM

Ok. Can i ride it at all?

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:19 AM

Yes.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.