Electric start YZ450F in the next few years...

36 replies to this topic
  • Goforaride

Posted June 13, 2014 - 06:12 PM

That is an awesome looking bike.

they should have put white or red hoses on it

• Goforaride

Posted June 13, 2014 - 06:21 PM

i know a guy with the skill to add e start. I personally would not delete the kicker tho. Jeremy Van Horebeek’s 2014 YZ450Fimage.jpg

Edited by Goforaride, June 13, 2014 - 06:22 PM.

• zig06

Posted June 14, 2014 - 06:27 PM

i know a guy with the skill to add e start. I personally would not delete the kicker tho. Jeremy Van Horebeek’s 2014 YZ450Fattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looks like the starter motor is in front of the cylinder, just below the head pipe.  Which seems strange because I thought that one of the reasons that Yamaha used for tilting the cylinder back was because they wanted to centralize the engine mass.  On that point it should have gone behind the cylinder.

• grayracer513

Posted June 15, 2014 - 06:27 PM

I don't see it there.  There's something above the water pump, in front of the oil filter, but it doesn't look like a standard size starter.

There's actually still plenty of room for a starter behind the cylinder on the new bikes, what with no carb in the way.

• gscx

Posted June 15, 2014 - 06:36 PM

This doesn't mean much. Back in 2000 the European team has an aluminum framed yz426 with electric start...

• artracing

Posted June 16, 2014 - 03:24 PM

Jeremy Van Horebeek's works YZ450FM had electric start for this weekend's Grand Prix of Qatar. To say it'd be a big sales advantage for the average rider would be an understatement I think.

Here is the works prototype electric start YZM400 that started the four stroke revolution and evolved to YZ450FM. It's was developed in 1997.
The engine is the prototype. With a lot of blood, sweat, and tears I fit it into the first generation 1998 YZ400F

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• 700rScott

Posted June 17, 2014 - 07:48 AM

It's true, MXA has a picture of MJeremy Van Horebeek’s 2014 YZ450F in White/Red and no kicker.  Sadly they do not have a shot of the engine showing the electric start motor (just to prove it).  I thought I heard that some of the other OEM's (Honda, Kawasaki & Suzuki) are messing with it too in MX1 but I have yet to confirm any of that.

redyzvanheobeek.jpg

You can see the starter motor right under the exhaust at the back of the engine. E start would be great to have with a normal clutch but if you go with a rekluse or another auto clutch your done if the battery dies.

Edited by 700rScott, June 17, 2014 - 07:49 AM.

• zig06

Posted June 17, 2014 - 08:24 AM

You can see the starter motor right under the exhaust at the back of the engine. E start would be great to have with a normal clutch but if you go with a rekluse or another auto clutch your done if the battery dies.

Hmmm, I'm not seeing that, but I am seeing something in front of the base of the cylinder.  A picture of the left side would be nice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 700rScott

Posted June 17, 2014 - 08:29 AM

Hmmm, I'm not seeing that, but I am seeing something in front of the base of the cylinder.  A picture of the left side would be nice.

It's in the spot where the kicker would be if that's it. The starting gear is facing towards us looking at it, so the electric motor part would be on the other side. They did a nice job integrating it into the motor so it makes it hard to see from this side.

• zig06

Posted June 17, 2014 - 05:02 PM

It's in the spot where the kicker would be if that's it. The starting gear is facing towards us looking at it, so the electric motor part would be on the other side. They did a nice job integrating it into the motor so it makes it hard to see from this side.

That's just the current kicker boss not a starter.

Here's the left side of a current 2014 YZ450f:

Yamaha%202014%20YZ450f_a.jpg

Wish I had a better (closer) picture of the left side of the GP bike, but here goes.  Clearly (well ~ sort of), you can see that there's something round in front of the cylinder that's not on the production bike.  And until I find a better image I'm calling that the starter.

Yamaha%202014%20GP%20YZ450f_a.jpg

See it now?

• artracing

Posted June 17, 2014 - 05:07 PM

That should be correct. Kicker mechanism is removed and starter redesigned into backside.
Here is my YZM400 electric.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted June 18, 2014 - 06:05 AM

I see nothing behind the engine, clearly something new in front.  Have to agree with zig.

• Monk

Posted June 18, 2014 - 06:45 AM

IMG_20140618_074353_zps79z6ct3j.jpg

• Joe_Jet

Posted June 20, 2014 - 10:02 AM

Lame!

That was one of the main reasons I dumped all our pumpkin 4 strokes. The electric start was unreliable, it added 10 pounds to a RACE bike, and the battery and associated wiring cluttered up an otherwise brilliant airbox design. Keep it on the WR or make it an optional kit for those that don't use the bike for its intended purpose of racing motocross. Shit, lets put a fairing, stereo, and some leather purses on back so we can trail ride it to some picnic.

• leo 450yfz

Posted June 20, 2014 - 04:53 PM

Lame!

That was one of the main reasons I dumped all our pumpkin 4 strokes. The electric start was unreliable, it added 10 pounds to a RACE bike, and the battery and associated wiring cluttered up an otherwise brilliant airbox design. Keep it on the WR or make it an optional kit for those that don't use the bike for its intended purpose of racing motocross. Shit, lets put a fairing, stereo, and some leather purses on back so we can trail ride it to some picnic.

You just reminded me that I still have to buy a tent for the 4th of july weekend... Thank you. Oh and I agree with the sentiment, I rode a quad before I went to the bike, and while e start is nice when it works, it alone was responsible for about 15% of my issues (stator/battery crap, I had a 2005 yfz450). 

• macoroniman2004

Posted June 24, 2014 - 03:21 AM

imo if you want e start buy and endure...I agree with above statements about weight and reliability,,in example no kicker?..dead battery...what then...also rule of thumb when I was growing up is if you cant kickstart it you cant ride it...now that's part of owning a mx bike the kick is where it all starts lol

• artracing

Posted June 24, 2014 - 03:32 AM

Don't forget this is a race bike. Only needs to be started once. If he falls, maybe one other time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.