Electric start YZ450F in the next few years...

36 replies to this topic
  • YamaLink

Posted March 02, 2014 - 10:31 AM

Jeremy Van Horebeek's works YZ450FM had electric start for this weekend's Grand Prix of Qatar. To say it'd be a big sales advantage for the average rider would be an understatement I think.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted March 02, 2014 - 03:43 PM

o say it'd be a big sales advantage for the average rider would be an understatement I think.

it would be huge!  of course they were quick to move all their play bike to e-start --- I sure hope the YZ follow!

• rjcook450

Posted March 02, 2014 - 05:14 PM

One of the reasons I sold my 08 yz450f and bought a new KTM

• Ryan426

Posted March 08, 2014 - 03:56 PM

E-start, really?? Come on....lame

• Home Skillet

Posted March 08, 2014 - 04:16 PM

How's that hand crank starter working on your car? :(

• billygildark5007

Posted March 08, 2014 - 05:37 PM

E start is like a kickstand. It should be banned from all sx and mx.

• Ryan426

Posted March 08, 2014 - 06:13 PM

How's that hand crank starter working on your car? :(

it snapped off so now i just bump start.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted March 10, 2014 - 05:35 PM

One of the reasons I sold my 08 yz450f and bought a new KTM

I have seen this more and more ... everyone wants one.   WAIT TILL YOU RIDE ONE!

• yz250337

Posted March 10, 2014 - 08:02 PM

god I hope not theres just something special about kick starting a dirtbike brings me back to the first time I did it as a little kid to me its a part of motocross part of the feeling

• shrubitup

Posted March 10, 2014 - 08:08 PM

This is a great idea. Good way to sell more product! Appeal to more customers. :cheers:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 72degrees

Posted March 11, 2014 - 02:32 AM

Well this old gimmer bought an orange 350 mostly for the electric foot.

I can still start the tuned 04 YZ450F but my lad has that as his main bike now so I'm out of practice. To be fair, I have plenty of time usually before going to the start line for a run and if I fall off in  a speed hill climb re-starting isn't an option anyway. Having to start a hot engine on the line after being held waiting because of a delay (rider off in front) can be a pain - that button is so much better on my hip, knee and nerves.

• newt2786

Posted June 11, 2014 - 04:14 PM

I thought they might of put them on this year bit of a let down thinking of going orange for that very reason. For all the haters things move forwards 4 strokes don't start well when ya fall off. How many top riders have you seen this year alone stall or have little falls and be sitting at the side of the track two laps later still kicking in a game where if ya don't fall off your not trying hard enough a bike that doesn't start is not a good thing.

• xcbuckeyeguy

Posted June 11, 2014 - 06:53 PM

I had a WR450 with both electric and kick. That was one of the selling points. The only time I ever used the elecrtic was in awkward situations like off camber or on a hill. When the battery went dead it was kick start only from then on out. The batteries for these electric start bikes are expensive. After having both I prefer a kicker.

Edited by xcbuckeyeguy, June 11, 2014 - 06:59 PM.

• Ryan Parker

Posted June 12, 2014 - 07:15 AM

I hope this isn't true...

• zig06

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:33 AM

It's true, MXA has a picture of MJeremy Van Horebeek’s 2014 YZ450F in White/Red and no kicker.  Sadly they do not have a shot of the engine showing the electric start motor (just to prove it).  I thought I heard that some of the other OEM's (Honda, Kawasaki & Suzuki) are messing with it too in MX1 but I have yet to confirm any of that.

redyzvanheobeek.jpg

• stevobiker

Posted June 12, 2014 - 07:49 PM

The option of kick and electric would be nice, perhaps the biggest issue is that the battery looses charge. Yamaha would be ahead of the game if they sold an easy to use trickle charger ( something like a gytr part ) that just plugs straight in with no battery removal-THAT would be awesome!! Then work out a cost and weight effective way to run the kick for the times the battery fails and have electric for those unfortunate falls during a Moto!!

• ka24s14am

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:27 PM

I really hope electric start does not become standard on a YZ. More expensive parts to break, maintence and wieght. They arnt that hard to kick....

• Goforaride

Posted June 13, 2014 - 03:28 PM

The weight of electric start hasn't seemed to slow dungey or roczen down. Those guys go down and they are right back up and going what's not to like about that?

• JLB943

Posted June 13, 2014 - 04:57 PM

It's true, MXA has a picture of MJeremy Van Horebeek’s 2014 YZ450F in White/Red and no kicker.  Sadly they do not have a shot of the engine showing the electric start motor (just to prove it).  I thought I heard that some of the other OEM's (Honda, Kawasaki & Suzuki) are messing with it too in MX1 but I have yet to confirm any of that.

redyzvanheobeek.jpg

That is an awesome looking bike.

• GunnerTowny

Posted June 13, 2014 - 06:10 PM

Not if you are an old timer with a bad wheel or two.  If you are close to 50 or over 50, then I give you props.  Personally, I'd buy one tomorrow if e-start was on it.  Just my two cents :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.