WR450F 2003 Won't start

3 replies to this topic
  • SRN78

Posted March 01, 2014 - 12:48 AM

Hi, I have a 2003 WR450F that's been standing in my garage for almost 4 years.

I'm not able to start it.

When I step on the kickstart (e-start broken) many times it won't start and a loud bang like a shotgun is the only thing that happens.

I have filled up with new gasoline, new sparkplug and I'we cleaned the carb.

I even tried to tow it after a car (because the kickstart broke off my bike), but it just sounds like I'm having a war on my street :)

I've taken of the top of the engine, and it looks like the valves not stuck.

Not being the best dirtbike mechanic, what to do?

Can a broken woodruff key be the fault?

The sparkplug is wet, and sparks. But is the timing wrong?

Please help :)

I'm from Norway, sorry for bad english.

• William1

Posted March 01, 2014 - 04:15 AM

install a BRAND new pilot jet

Make sure the fuel screw is in good shape, the parts are all there and it is adjusted at about 1.75 turns.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 01, 2014 - 05:58 AM

...and make sure the passage above the pilot jet is clear using fishing line and spray brake cleaner and compressed air

Then check you hot start plunger and make sure it too is not corroded and stuck partially open

• BIGBOREEWR450FF

Posted March 03, 2014 - 04:27 PM

Hi, I have a 2003 WR450F that's been standing in my garage for almost 4 years.
I'm not able to start it.
When I step on the kickstart (e-start broken) many times it won't start and a loud bang like a shotgun is the only thing that happens.

I have filled up with new gasoline, new sparkplug and I'we cleaned the carb.
I even tried to tow it after a car (because the kickstart broke off my bike), but it just sounds like I'm having a war on my street :)

I've taken of the top of the engine, and it looks like the valves not stuck.
Not being the best dirtbike mechanic, what to do?

Can a broken woodruff key be the fault?
The sparkplug is wet, and sparks. But is the timing wrong?

Please help :)

I'm from Norway, sorry for bad english.

I had the same problem. The Woodruff key broke and it jumped the timing. Get a new key and re time it. I found it easiest if you put the piston at top dead center and then get the cams straight. I've gotten a brand new Woodruff key from macleans and it broke as soon as I kicked it over.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.