Looking at buying a new thumper

9 replies to this topic
  • couchman

Posted February 28, 2014 - 10:06 PM

G'day guys, just signed up to the site although I've lurked here for years. My last bike was an '01 KTM 640 Duke II and I'm very grateful for the wealth of information on these forums.

I came across a WR450F for sale in my area and went out to have a look at it today. On paper it seemed great! 2006 model with 5,300km. Loads of extras incl pro circuit exhaust, after market fenders, foot rests, bars, grips etc. All for a low $4,700.

I tend to get a bit obsessive about my bikes and as I know little about Yamaha I spent about 10hrs yesterday researching it. I went to inspect the bike ready with my questions and I wasn't entirely satisfied with the answers. For example: "have you checked the valves recently?" ... "well I had the top end rebuilt last August by a local motorcycle shop." Hmm. So that's a no, really isn't it? He claimed to have changed the oil every 500km but hesitated and was vague when I asked where exactly the oil filter is located on that model of bike. Not a good sign. Turns out the bike has been dropped and the broken plastics etc replaced but I'm a worried about damage to the frame. In the following pic it seems as though the rear fender, license plate and tail light are way off-centre compared to how the back wheel and rest of the bike is sitting. When the bike is standing upright it is the same.

http://imgur.com/Ixb1ewl

I took it for a ride and it rode fine, sounded great etc.

What I'm really asking is if the possible frame damage in the above picture is a big problem, and how risky is it to buy a bike like this which has probably only had it's valves checked once or twice, and who knows how often the oil / oil filter / air filter have been changed.

I am looking for a bike to do short-distance FUN commuting with the possibility of some longer range trips, like 2000km round trip on dirt 4x4 tracks. I will be looking to purchase rims and tyres to ride as a supermoto in town, with the ability to quickly swap out for dirt when I want to.

Would this DRZ400 be a better option? http://www.gumtree.c...rego/1039941072

Thanks for your help fellas.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 01, 2014 - 06:04 AM

No frame damage

The subframe can tweek, and be tweeked back quite easily.

It is almost impossible to damage an WR frame.

I would be more worried about his answer about the oil filter.

Get the bike hot, then check the dipstick in front of the motor by wiping it on a clean paper towel and smelling  the oil.

The oil can be dark, but should have no debris in it and have as little 'burnt' smell as possible.

There are two drain plugs, a sump screen, and an oil filter. 

All of them should show signs of multiple removal.

A DRZ is considerably more civilized on the street, quieter, smoother, etc.

But it sucks off road.

• flyandride

Posted March 01, 2014 - 07:05 AM

If the sub frame is bent it can be replaced easily.  Look on ebay.   Don't get too excited about the bike having been dropped, it is a dirt bike, they get dropped.  

After he had the top end done the valves should have been checked after a couple hours riding.  They usually tighten up.  Many people never do that, even when buying a new bike.   

Check the air filter.  If it's dirty and loaded with dust you know he hasn't done much maintenance. Pull it and see if dust has been getting past it around the edges.  

And if you're in the seller's garage, do you see tools and oil change gear?  

The DRZ would make a better street bike but they are heavy, probably about 20 kilos more than the WR. 

• RMK800

Posted March 01, 2014 - 01:03 PM

I personally think the bike is priced a bit high, even with the stuff added. I wouldn't pay over 4k for a 2006. I paid 3700 for my 2007 aluminum frame.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 01, 2014 - 01:55 PM

$4700 AUS = 4087.00 US

It's still too much to pay.

The 'extras', unless they are significant, (suspension re-valving, cams, dampers, etc), should really be ignored when pricing; price on condition and wear.

...more like 3000- 3700 AUS 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted March 01, 2014 - 04:58 PM

No frame damage

The subframe can tweek, and be tweeked back quite easily.

It is almost impossible to damage an WR frame.

I would be more worried about his answer about the oil filter.

Get the bike hot, then check the dipstick in front of the motor by wiping it on a clean paper towel and smelling  the oil.

The oil can be dark, but should have no debris in it and have as little 'burnt' smell as possible.

There are two drain plugs, a sump screen, and an oil filter. 

All of them should show signs of multiple removal.

A DRZ is considerably more civilized on the street, quieter, smoother, etc.

But it sucks off road.

Remember, the dipstick on the 06's is in the frame up around the headtube.  Funny design. :goofy:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 01, 2014 - 06:17 PM

Remember, the dipstick on the 06's is in the frame up around the headtube.  Funny design. :goofy:

I knew that. Everybody knows that. You think I don't know that? 

Are you calling me a liar?  Huh??  

:rant:  :foul:  :censored:  :prof:

• KennyMc

Posted March 01, 2014 - 06:25 PM

I knew that. Everybody knows that. You think I don't know that? 

Are you calling me a liar?  Huh??  

:rant:  :foul:  :censored:  :prof:

Well, I guess you said in front of the motor, so no, not a liar, technically. :smashpc:  :smashpc:    A tall, bald, old crotchety fart, yep :thumbsup:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 01, 2014 - 06:48 PM

A tall, bald, faster than shit, handsome old crotchety fart for sure.  :thumbsup:

fixed

• couchman

Posted March 02, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Thanks for the replies fellas. I checked out the DRZ yesterday and it's a much better bike. Single owner, full service history, 6 months registration and a roadworthy certificate for $4000 is a good price. My only concern with this one is it's been stored in an open-sided shed. I don't care about the faded plastics, but some of the nuts and bolts show rust. Is this a big problem, or is it really just cosmetic? Is rust easy to remove, or will I just have to replace them?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.