2005 WR450 E-Start not working

7 replies to this topic
  • Zabrow187

Posted February 28, 2014 - 09:29 AM

I have recently reassembled my 05 wr450, post top end refresh. Before I broke it down my e-start worked flawlessly. Now when I hit the button all I get is an audible *click* from the starter relay. I have changed the battery, checked the continuity in the relay, and pulled my case cover off and the starter turn by hand. What else can cause a starter to not turn?

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2014 - 10:22 AM

You get a click from the relay, but there are two involved.  Press the starter button while touching the starter motor relay.  If you feel it click, then the motor relay and teh starter cut-off relay are both working.  Then check for battery voltage at the large red lead on the starter relay.  If present, test for voltage at the large black lead that runs to the starter when the button is pushed.  If no voltage, the relay is bad.  If 12V, the starter lead or the starter is the problem.  Disconnect the starter at the motor and jump it directly to the battery; if it runs it's good, test the relay and the black lead. 

• William1

Posted February 28, 2014 - 10:38 AM

A common mistake made on rebuild is failing to attach the big black ground wire.

• Zabrow187

Posted February 28, 2014 - 11:02 AM

A common mistake made on rebuild is failing to attach the big black ground wire.

To the starter itself?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted February 28, 2014 - 12:09 PM

To the starter itself?

The large black cable from the battery to (If memory serves) a bolt on the front right side of the head. Check your serice manual for the proper spot.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted February 28, 2014 - 12:17 PM

The large black cable from the battery to (If memory serves) a bolt on the front right side of the head. Check your serice manual for the proper spot.

On the 450s I usually see the black ground wire attached to one of the starter mounting bolts.   

• Zabrow187

Posted February 28, 2014 - 03:16 PM

Right on the money, missed the ground, bike fired right up.

• William1

Posted February 28, 2014 - 05:28 PM

Good deal! It is a somewhat common 'gotchya'.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.