New Plastic

8 replies to this topic
  • thumpsalad

Posted January 06, 2002 - 03:44 PM

I am looking for new plastic for my bike, a 99 YZ400. I have looked for a yellow plastic kit from One Industries (#Kit-YA401YL), but most places only carry the indivdual pieces and not the all-in-one kit.

Anybody know where I can find this kit? I have tried every place I can think of. MX south, Chapparal, etc...

Thanks!

• PK

Posted January 06, 2002 - 05:51 PM

I did just what your talking about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't planning on it, but my gas tank cracked so I bought a yellow Clarke tank. I then got all new yellow (shrouds, fenders, all 3 number plates made by One)plastic from Motosport Outlet for $130. I then called One industries (858)874-5760 and got a set of Hurricane graphics for $60. If you buy the Hurricane kit, I found the cheapest was $240, the way I went I was able to save $50, which will help offset the $160 the gas tank cost me. Not sure why the whole kit costs so much more. It looked like a brand new bike. I raced today in what turned out to be a mudbog so my graphics aren't as new, and the endo put a little white crease in the front fender that a little hair dryer treatment will get rid of, I hope. You always crash with new plastic. I also painted the frame black which really was the finishing touch.

Pat
99 YZ400

PS: My wife and all the kids at the race thought the bike looked "Tight", whatever that means...

• thumpsalad

Posted January 06, 2002 - 06:09 PM

PK,

Thanks for the info! I am going to track down the plastic and graphics you got so I can get my bike to look a little better. Those prices aren't too bad. I bought it used and the current graphics on it are a little ratty looking.

thumpsalad

• elroyona426

Posted January 06, 2002 - 06:12 PM

I went with the full retro white kit from One Industries. Looks trick but I wasn't very happy with the fit and finish of the plastic. I did the same thing you did PK. My tank cracked also so I bought a new Clarke white tank and painted my frame black (clear coated that), then painted the lower engine cases satin black and pulled all the 8mm bolts to put them under the wire brush on a bench grinder to shine them up. Looks trick.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpsalad

Posted January 06, 2002 - 07:02 PM

Hey PK,

Went to MotoSport Outlet's web site, but they only carry UFO plastic it seems. Do you know where it's lurking on their site or did you call them to order? Thanks.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 06, 2002 - 07:15 PM

I got mine from 1indust. directly.
cost me around 225 i think but incl
seat cover
fender front
fender rear
#plate front
shrouds
graphics
fork gaurds

I also got a black rear fender instead of yellow to break it up a bit!
In addition to all that , I added a black front disc gaurd and yellow Acerbis rally gaurds! Very TRICK!
I think I will order a black front fender to change looks once in a while!
I love the Yammy blue but EVERYONE has one.
I hate the "I thought that was a Suzuki!" a lot!
I usually reply with "Have you ever seen or heard a Suzuki this FAST?"
:D
:)

• PK

Posted January 07, 2002 - 06:54 AM

Thump, I actually got UFO plastic. Sorry bout that. It comes in yellow and fits fairly well. I need to clear coat my black paint job, after the race this weekend it looks a little roughed up.

Pat

• Hick

Posted January 07, 2002 - 07:24 AM

Originally posted by PK:
If you buy the Hurricane kit, I found the cheapest was $240, the way I went I was able to save $50, which will help offset the $160 the gas tank cost me. Not sure why the whole kit costs so much more.

I remember wanting one of those kits when I first got my ’00, they were not available. But for whatever reason One Industries has started selling them again. I believe they ship UFO plastic.

Anyway the kit comes with fork guards, fender and swing arm stickers and a seat cover. That about covers your $50 difference, unless you got the seat cover with the graphics but for $60 I’m guessing you did not.

I hate those shiny-sided seat covers. They really look like crap after a while and besides won’t ever line up with the graphics on my bike because I have tall seat foam. In my case I should have done what you did PK because I got the “retro” kit (already have a white Acerbis dez tank) but now I’m eating the seat cover, which I don’t want or need. So I should have shopped around for a white plastic kit and then bought the graphics.

Oh well.

I’m also powder coating my frame black. Hey, I can’t ride it right now anyway, so what the hell…

• PARTSGURU

Posted January 07, 2002 - 08:04 AM

ONE INDUSTRIES STILL SELLS THE HURRICANE KIT FOR YOUR 99 YZ400. P/N KIT-YA400YL. I USUALLY STOCK THAT KIT AT THE DEALERSHIP I WORK AT, BUT ONE INDUSTRIES IS OUT OF THE SEAT COVERS. THEY SHOULD BE IN THE END OF JANUARY. I SELL THE KIT FOR 225.00. I ALSO HAVE ONE ON MY 99 YZ 400 WITH A BLACK POWDER COATED FRAME, IT LOOKS AWESOME. C-YA

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.