new wr 450

8 replies to this topic
  • avlisj

Posted February 25, 2014 - 09:21 AM

Just picked up my new 2014 wr450. And already have a question. About the end cap mod. I took off the end cap and removed the tail pipe assembly, leaving the spark arrestor in place and replaced the end cap. There is now that open chamber between the spark arrestor and the exit of the end cap. Can that cause any problems. Do i need to buy the $50 end cap from FMF. noise level as it is is not bad. I drilled out the smaller insert from the tail pipe section, but the resulting tail pipe is still significantly smaller than the spark arrestor diameter and end cap diameter, so I left it out completely. Im assuming bigger is better for letting it breath, of course with noise being considered. Sooner or later i plan on the gytr fmf muffler, but for now is this cool.

Also is the competion ecu a change in the current ecu or does it just allow you to plug in the yz map changer (wich is another $300)?

And, is the 2.1 fuel tank 2.1 gallons of fuel or 2.1 minus the space a fuel pump takes? What kind of range you getting with stock tank?

Got a couple of rides already and love it, only have the free mods done and is plenty powerful.

anybody want to buy a 2002 rm 250

thx

• Navaho6

Posted February 25, 2014 - 09:59 AM

2.1 gallons total.  I get between 23 and 26 mpg with a rich map and FMF muffler.  This is probably worst case.  Leaner maps  make a big difference.

You can get the Tuner and the GYTR muffler much cheaper on Ebay or Amazon than from a dealer.

Don't know about the muffler.

I read that the new ecu is programmed different but can't confirm. 

• avlisj

Posted February 25, 2014 - 01:21 PM

Thx
Yea saw that on eBay
Are you saying 2.1 gallons of fuel ?
Pull up to gas station and pump 2.1 gallon into empty bike?

Thx again

• Navaho6

Posted February 25, 2014 - 01:59 PM

http://www.thumperta...e#entry11373035

http://www.yamaha-mo...=950&quality=75

Edited by Navaho6, February 25, 2014 - 02:02 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • electricme

Posted February 28, 2014 - 02:46 AM

Pictures or it didnt happen! :p

• avlisj

Posted February 28, 2014 - 08:00 AM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1393603059.034377.jpg [attachment=124822:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1393603089.329050
Only ones I got
Too busy riding the trails to take action shots

Attached Thumbnails

• ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1393603089.329050.jpg

• woods-rider

Posted February 28, 2014 - 08:08 AM

Also is the competion ecu a change in the current ecu or does it just allow you to plug in the yz map changer (wich is another $300)?

The competition ECU comes with all 0's, whereas the stock ECU is locked with a bunch of negatives. The competition ECU is a HUGE improvement over stock even without tweaking it with the tuner.

• mebgardner

Posted February 28, 2014 - 11:29 AM

The competition ECU comes with all 0's, whereas the stock ECU is locked with a bunch of negatives. The competition ECU is a HUGE improvement over stock even without tweaking it with the tuner.

The Comp ECU is programmable with either the:

1) GYTR Power Tuner, for Fuel Injection (FI) fuel / ignition map setting changes, or

2) The OEM / Aftermarket Diagnostics programmer, for adjusting CO / Idle settings (for enrichening a too lean idle setting).

The stock OEM ECU is not programmable.

The two devices mentioned above can be purchased aftermarket, and as you can see, do different things.

(1) allows for "carb like" adjustments (like needle / orifice setting changes), from ride to ride.

(2) allows for what becomes a one-time change to Idle / CO emissions settings. You set it once (to "7 or 8") and forget it. Bump up from that if you need a really rich idle mixture (for racing maybe?).

The (2) device, the Diagnostics tool, apearrs to be similar to a CAN bus reader. It has other useful features, but as far as I know, no one has mapped out what they are yet.

• avlisj

Posted February 28, 2014 - 08:33 PM

The Comp ECU is programmable with either the:
1) GYTR Power Tuner, for Fuel Injection (FI) fuel / ignition map setting changes, or
2) The OEM / Aftermarket Diagnostics programmer, for adjusting CO / Idle settings (for enrichening a too lean idle setting).

The stock OEM ECU is not programmable.

The two devices mentioned above can be purchased aftermarket, and as you can see, do different things.
(1) allows for "carb like" adjustments (like needle / orifice setting changes), from ride to ride.
(2) allows for what becomes a one-time change to Idle / CO emissions settings. You set it once (to "7 or 8") and forget it. Bump up from that if you need a really rich idle mixture (for racing maybe?).

The (2) device, the Diagnostics tool, apearrs to be similar to a CAN bus reader. It has other useful features, but as far as I know, no one has mapped out what they are yet.

All great info

Thanks

How bad does the gas mileage go going from stock to all 0's with the comp ecu

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.