Replacement Kickstarter Options - 1996 Yz250

2 replies to this topic
  • dafunka

Posted February 24, 2014 - 05:30 AM

Hello all,

I've searched and i couldn't find any real answers with regards to different years and part compatibility, specifically the Kickstarter shaft gear assembly. 

I have a 1996 Yz250 and i need to replace the kickstarter shaft gear assembly (not the kickstarter lever, the actual shaft, gear etc in the case). I was wondering what years of other yz250's i could use if i can't find a 1996? Would a 1990-1998 work? 1990-1996? 1993-1996? 97? etc..

The problem is the kickstarter only catches about half way down and doesn't give me enough of a stroke to kick the bike over. The only way to starter her up is by bump starting. The motor has just been rebuilt and runs like a champ so i know is not due to lack of compression or related. Got spark/fuel/etc. So i know thats not the problem.

Thanks for looking and for your help!

• motoxvet

Posted February 24, 2014 - 07:31 AM

Look at an OEM parts house like Partzilla and find the blow-up diagram for your bike.  When you find the part you're questioning, click on the part number.  This will show you what other bikes have the EXACT same parts in them.   Regarding that problem though, have you tired actually did any troubleshooting of it?  There must be something bent or broken in there and it just may be repairable.  On the later YZ's, like my '01, there is and angled piece called a ratchet wheel guide that determines by it's shape when the starter engages.   It could be bent although it's a TOUGH piece of hardened steel.  Check that out before buying a ton of parts.

• dafunka

Posted February 24, 2014 - 07:43 AM

Look at an OEM parts house like Partzilla and find the blow-up diagram for your bike.  When you find the part you're questioning, click on the part number.  This will show you what other bikes have the EXACT same parts in them.   Regarding that problem though, have you tired actually did any troubleshooting of it?  There must be something bent or broken in there and it just may be repairable.  On the later YZ's, like my '01, there is and angled piece called a ratchet wheel guide that determines by it's shape when the starter engages.   It could be bent although it's a TOUGH piece of hardened steel.  Check that out before buying a ton of parts.

Hi Motoxvet,

Thank you for your reply. I didn't think to  try that.  I'll do that!

The only troubleshooting that i did was trying to start the bike by kicking it over and then by bump starting it. It seems to grab about half way down but doesn't right from the top. I haven't removed the case cover yet to take a look inside yet. I'll have to do that now that you've mentioned that the ratchet wheel guide could be the problem. Hmm....

Thank you for mentioning that! its appreciated! i'm all about saving the $$$ aha

thanks again.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

the irreplaceable carb gasket/oring by Hutch1

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

Yz250 crank shaft flywheel stripped problem! by jacob_buttery

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz 250 Front End Woes... by aled

• Hot  42 replies
Forums
Photo

Bottom End by wyattedwards250

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

125cc 2stroke for new bike? by nickboc333

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.