5th gear slipping?

6 replies to this topic
  • bmxchamp00

Posted February 23, 2014 - 07:44 AM

So my 426 is now running great, but of course there has to be another problem. All gears 1-4 work perfectly, but I get into the 5th gear and it doesn't run right. It feels like it bogs down a bit then shoots forward and repeats that until I get tired of riding it. I have been told it is transmission problem, so should I try to swap it with a friends bike which is used for a parts bike? (The same 426 as mine) or bring it in to rebuild? Not worry and don't use 5th gear???

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2014 - 08:17 AM

It's a trans problem.  If it's 5th doing this, then the trouble is specifically that the lugs on the sides of 5th and third gear on the main shaft are worn out and rounded to the point that instead of holding together under a load, they push each other apart, causing the jumping, lurching slip/grab sensation you feel. The shift fork that moves third will also be bent and need to be replaced.

• jojo1224

Posted February 23, 2014 - 03:59 PM

Exactly what grayracer has said, 3rd and 5th lugs are rounded over and the shift work will be bent. I have 2 yz426f transmissions in my scrap bin that are both like that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bmxchamp00

Posted February 24, 2014 - 05:05 PM

It's a trans problem. If it's 5th doing this, then the trouble is specifically that the lugs on the sides of 5th and third gear on the main shaft are worn out and rounded to the point that instead of holding together under a load, they push each other apart, causing the jumping, lurching slip/grab sensation you feel. The shift fork that moves third will also be bent and need to be replaced.

So I can easily swap it out with another 426 tranny?

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2014 - 05:23 PM

You can swap it with another 426.  Some people call that easy, and some don't.

• bmxchamp00

Posted March 02, 2014 - 10:15 AM

You can swap it with another 426. Some people call that easy, and some don't.

Is this problem going to get worse if I keep riding it like this? Will the 1-4 gears soon be doing this too??

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2014 - 12:10 PM

Possibly.  Can't say without a physical inspection, of course.  Bear in mind though that the engine and gear box share the same oil, so any metal debris the trans dumps into it runs through the system.  Presumably, the filter would catch most of it, but...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.