2014 motor cut out over large jump...

27 replies to this topic
  • drtrcr400

Posted February 27, 2014 - 08:22 AM

You already mentioned you suspect the kill switch, why not take 5 minutes to pull it apart? Look to make sure the springs are intact and the contacts are clean. It could be packed full of dust, dirt or mud. I had the exact same problem on my 2012. It's an easy thing to check and eliminate as a possibility.

Edited by drtrcr400, February 27, 2014 - 08:22 AM.

• swaldrop

Posted February 27, 2014 - 08:29 AM

My plan was to bypass the kill switch completely actually. The bike is brand new and has never been ridden in anything but relatively sunny skies. I will pull it apart just to make sure though.

• crazyman2

Posted February 28, 2014 - 03:15 AM

My plan was to bypass the kill switch completely actually. The bike is brand new and has never been ridden in anything but relatively sunny skies. I will pull it apart just to make sure though.

Bypass the switch not always a good idea. I'd take it apart or replace it. My buddy bypassed his switch in a bike and use to stall it and one day he went to stall it out and accidentally grabbing the throttle a bit bike went right out from under him into a pond. And he is a 25 riding vet. But that's my opinion ..

Edited by crazyman2, February 28, 2014 - 03:17 AM.

• swaldrop

Posted February 28, 2014 - 01:39 PM

The bypass switch is in perfect shape and everything appeared to be in order when I took it apart.

I am going to drain the gas and check the fuel filter/pump. Anyone know of an easy way to do this without tearing too much apart?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FZ1426

Posted March 01, 2014 - 12:56 PM

As much as I like the new gas tank over the previous model the gas cap area does tend to collect dirt. I can see how it would be easy for people to get dirt in the tank if they're not careful.

Edited by FZ1426, March 01, 2014 - 12:56 PM.

• CC24

Posted July 14, 2014 - 10:08 AM

"Swaldrop", my situation is just slightly different in that the "Cutting out" or monetary stall is occurring on the face or take off of jumps that DO NOT need much throttle, where I'm carrying enough speed to clear the back side and I need to suck up the take off a bit. This has happened twice on the same jump on two different days, plus a mid air stall at low speed and a stall getting on the gas existing a tight bowl turn. All lead to tip overs or crashes. Like you, I'm scared to ride it when it cuts out a random times.

I set the idle at 2200 rpm, so slightly faster then the manual suggests. Since the bike runs great other the the occasional stall, can this really be a fuel pump or kill switch issue? After checking, my fuel pump and gas tank appear to be spotless. 

• moto623x

Posted October 13, 2014 - 03:46 PM

"Swaldrop"  Did you ever figure out what was going on?

• swaldrop

Posted October 31, 2014 - 06:05 AM

I have not had an issues since and was never able to determine the exact cause, no.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.