Any one use a TM Designworks skid plate

27 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted February 22, 2014 - 07:25 AM

For a 2007-2011.  Not a very good picture on their website.

IMG_0740.JPG

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 22, 2014 - 09:36 AM

Yes

IMG_0725_zps31db3008.jpgIMG_0719_zps5fd0597d.jpg

• stevethe

Posted February 22, 2014 - 02:09 PM

Ah ha you have one. It looks like good protection. Than you for posting good pictures of it. I couldn't tell much with their pictures on the web.

It's going on the boys bike and he's known to smack some rocks.

Posted February 22, 2014 - 03:13 PM

KoolAidMadeMeSick, how much of the frame is covered under the bike? The pics they have on their site are of the previous model and looks to be a little different.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 22, 2014 - 04:05 PM

It's not great coverage like a Flatland, but it's the best plastic plate I could find.

The Hyde Racing is better but too expensive at $150.00

IMG_33411_zps353ef48d.jpg

• _N8_

Posted February 23, 2014 - 11:14 AM

Why not go with the Flatland?  Just curious - I love mine.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 23, 2014 - 04:08 PM

When I did a 'once over' on this WR, I went with as much 'low weight' parts as possible, within reason.

It's clearly not a good of protection as an alloy plate, but I don't case my frame on rocks very much anyway.

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, February 23, 2014 - 04:46 PM.

• KennyMc

Posted February 23, 2014 - 04:30 PM

How long have you had yours Bill? When I saw them I wanted one but when I saw one up close and noticed the plastic around the water pump is really pliable, it gave me pause. Was wondering how it's working for you and if you've noticed any scratching by the water pump to tell if it has taken any impacts there yet?

I have the Flatland and truely us it as a bash plate and it has a lot of battle scars by the water pump. I really like the looks of the TMD one and was thinking about my next replacement one. My current one needs some "adjusting" while off the bike to help with the re-application process :D

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 23, 2014 - 04:48 PM

For you Ken I would not get the TMD. It's too soft at the pump location, and a good 'toss' on to that location and it would be toast. 

The Hyde is better, but still, nothing like a good alloy one. 

Ken, you have to do the loop we have made in DWF: two nice near mile-long sketchy-rocky uphills!  

• stevethe

Posted February 23, 2014 - 09:51 PM

Moose also makes a plastic pro model:

Product Description moose.png

Moose Racing has dedicated itself by providing the rider and racer with the highest quality and best performing products. With thousands of items from racewear to casual apparel, to boots and the finest in hard parts and accessories, Moose Racing offers the most comprehensive list of products in the industry to satisfy all of your riding needs.

• A skid plate like no other.
  • Made with a flexible high-density polyethylene construction.
  • HDPE is an excellent material; a technical plastic which offers many characteristics to protect your bike.
  • 6 mm thick for maximum protection of the frame and cases.
  • Goes through a thermoforming process and welded.
  • 40% lighter than 4 mm aluminum.
  • No more vibrating or rattling.
  • Mounting hardware and installation instructions included.

Edited by stevethe, February 23, 2014 - 09:55 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted February 23, 2014 - 09:52 PM

For you Ken I would not get the TMD. It's too soft at the pump location, and a good 'toss' on to that location and it would be toast.

The Hyde is better, but still, nothing like a good alloy one.

Ken, you have to do the loop we have made in DWF: two nice near mile-long sketchy-rocky uphills!

It seems you guys are making it possible to put a good day of riding in. It's a bit of a trek for me so I'd like to be able to get a somewhat of a full day in. If that'll work for you sometime soon, Saturday preferred, lemme know, would like to join ya :thumbsup:

And just a tip over yesterday in the Buttes trashed my Unibiker radiator guard on the left side. The radiator has now taken on the shape of an "S" but with no leaks. I need all the protection I can get :D

Edited by KennyMc, February 23, 2014 - 09:55 PM.

• shrubitup

Posted February 23, 2014 - 10:07 PM

thanks for the battle hardened pics Krannie. your header looks exposed to me. :busted:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 24, 2014 - 06:06 AM

And just a tip over yesterday in the Buttes trashed my Unibiker radiator guard on the left side. The radiator has now taken on the shape of an "S" but with no leaks. I need all the protection I can get :D

There is 100 miles worth, with a little dual sport, and about 70 max without.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 24, 2014 - 06:14 AM

Oh, and don't bother with the Acerbis skid plate. You can shove a bic pen right through it's so soft......

• stevethe

Posted February 24, 2014 - 06:55 AM

Oh, and don't bother with the Acerbis skid plate. You can shove a bic pen right through it's so soft......

Acerbis yea about as good as the stock one but black. Works on the street !

Iphone413249_zpsc90dcf3e.jpg

• stevethe

Posted February 24, 2014 - 08:29 AM

The Moose looks pretty good and weight saving. I am going to try one on my bike and give my old aluminum to the boy.

Edited by stevethe, February 24, 2014 - 08:40 AM.

• stevethe

Posted February 28, 2014 - 04:56 PM

Since I ended up guinea pigging on the Moose pro skid plate for a 07-11 Wr450 here is some pics.

c353a2d0-f2e3-420f-86d7-50ceac07e694_zps

ph1_zps8288bc4c.jpg

ph_zps79a20b81.jpg

• shrubitup

Posted February 28, 2014 - 05:45 PM

whoa, right side drive on WRs now. :banana:

• stevethe

Posted February 28, 2014 - 06:50 PM

whoa, right side drive on WRs now. :banana:

Yup yup now how did I do that. The one right behind it has a normal side drive. Trick photography didn't know I had it in me.

• KennyMc

Posted March 01, 2014 - 06:01 PM

So the holes in the skid plate where the original one mounted are there just so it can fit a bit more snug to the frame?  Kinda interesting they didn't just not put the cut-outs there and just have hole so it would mount up the same.  You just put the screws in to preserve the hole?  Wait, that sounds kinda funny :devil:

How is the mounting thingy in the center to work with? 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.