2006 yz450f oil questions

13 replies to this topic
  • 88motohead88

Posted February 20, 2014 - 01:58 PM

So I was checking my clutch plates and notice they were mainly dry. My clutch doesn't have any adjustment anymore at all. It slips if u mess with it and won't engage either. There's one small sweet spot on the adjuster that makes it rideable. Is there a way to check for clogged oil lines, passages, etc. They were to dry. Can someone explain what I should do to make sure oil isn't restricted somehow. I did just do a top end.

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2014 - 07:09 AM

You had the leaky base gasket, didn't you?  ....

Don't run the bike any more until you correct that.  You will have to replace the head gasket, too.  Oil is fed to the cams and transmission along the cylinder base, and even though there's almost no way it could possibly be on backward without a huge coolant leak, it could be for an earlier model, slipped into the kit by mistake.  The older 450's routed their oil in exterior lines, so there's no provision for it on the old base gasket. 

To check, there's an 8mm hex bolt on the left side of the head under the intake port.  This should weep oil when loosened.  The base gasket should not be able to block or obstruct oil to the trans, but you can check the passage while the clutch is opened.  Remove the oil filter cover and the clutch push rod.  Using a plastic bottle with one of the cone shaped squirt tops like comes on gear oil, force oil into the passage that starts next to the filter cover bolt at 10:00 o'clock (upper left).  Oil should come out the main shaft as a result. 

You should also note that the clutch doesn't normally look very wet when you tear it down, as oil is somewhat restricted by having to go around the short push rod/release bearing under the pressure plate.  They don't need a lot.  Your clutch problem is probably just a simple wear thing.

• 88motohead88

Posted February 21, 2014 - 09:13 AM

Yes. Thanks a lot man. Perfect.. I'll check it today. thru searching I found the oil screen could be clogged and that there was a way to clean it by removing the oil pump and using a made up tube/vacuum tube/tool. But Im assuming if that weep hole is weeping oil while running all passages/oil screen is clear? And the clutch looks ok, friction plates and all, pushrod, bearing looked good, no notches. Friction plates looked burnt though. Can I use 05 250f plates or jus but new plates

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2014 - 09:41 AM

There is no feed oil screen in a Gen2 ('06-'09) YZ450.  Only for the return oil.  Loosen the oil filter cover a little and see if it leaks when you run it.  The filter is the first stop coming from the pump. 

Hold a 250F plate up to your clutch.  You'll see why you can't use them right away. 

Buy new Yamaha plates.  Look for wear on the friction bearing surfaces of the clutch boss (hub) and pressure plate, also.

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2014 - 09:44 AM

There is no feed oil screen in a Gen2 ('06-'09) YZ450.  Only for the return oil.  Loosen the oil filter cover a little and see if it leaks when you run it.  The filter is the first stop coming from the pump. 

Hold a 250F plate up to your clutch.  You'll see why you can't use them right away. 

Buy new Yamaha plates.  Look for wear on the friction bearing surfaces of the clutch boss (hub) and pressure plate, also.

• 88motohead88

Posted February 21, 2014 - 04:21 PM

That's exactly what I did. Lol. I checked the oil flow and it was flowing like you said so I'll start it tomorrow and check with the filter loose. Thanks again man extremely helpful. So what does the return oil screen do?

• 88motohead88

Posted February 22, 2014 - 06:53 AM

Grayracer, Do you tighten the clutch pressure plate screws all the way and then torque them or torque them as you tighten them against the springs. Seems like they would fly loose if I dont but seems like way over 7-9 foot pounds to get the springs all the way in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 22, 2014 - 08:24 AM

Bottom them out, then torque them.

• 88motohead88

Posted February 22, 2014 - 08:32 AM

Ok got it. Idk y I didn't get this

• grayracer513

Posted February 22, 2014 - 10:10 AM

As to the return oil screen, that is the starting point of the return circuit that pumps oil from the bottom back to the oil reservoir in front of the crankcase.  It is only accessible by splitting the cases, but it can be back washed from within the oil pump cavity on the right side.

Your engine has a dry sump lube system.  Read: http://www.thumperta...e/#entry4319538

• 88motohead88

Posted February 22, 2014 - 02:05 PM

Grayracer oil was spewing out like crazy at the oil filter. Clutch seemed fine, haven't rode hard though still breaking it in. Brand new Cometic head gasket and base gasket are leaking oil. What didnt or did I do? Goto bike bandit or the like and order oem gaskets? No way I can reuse gaskets? When I bought the bike the guy had given me oem ones on the bike. He had jus put it back together with a bad cylinder but put brand new gaskets. The ones in my cylinder works kit were metal and Cometic.

• grayracer513

Posted February 22, 2014 - 07:43 PM

And they may have been for the wrong year model, or whatever, too.  

Buy a pair of new OEM gaskets.  How did you torque the head last time, as long as we're talking about it?

• 88motohead88

Posted February 23, 2014 - 02:50 AM

22ft pounds then loosened then 13 ft then a 180degree turn after that. Is it worth it at all to at least attempt to do it again? It wouldnt take to much or to much time. Obviously leaving the head on and keeping the back bolt in but like loosen everything make sure it's all free or whatever and retighten it

• 88motohead88

Posted February 23, 2014 - 04:24 PM

I tried what I said this morning.....and...I loosened and retightened the head bolts a second time, with the same cometic gaskets without taking the head or cylinder off and it worked. No leaks rode hard for 3 hours today

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.