Best method to "blackout" swingarm...suggestions?

12 replies to this topic
  • Frasewave

Posted February 20, 2014 - 08:25 AM

Im thinking of "blacking out" my swingarm on my 2012 yz450f, ive been talking to a few people and im trying to figure out what will work the best and hopefully last the longest. Some people are recomending a good metal/aluminum paint, others are recomending a rockergurad type paint or even a truck bedliner application..............any suggestion?

• Frasewave

Posted February 20, 2014 - 08:27 AM

Im thinking of "blacking out" my swingarm on my 2012 yz450f, ive been talking to a few people and im trying to figure out what will work the best and hopefully last the longest. Some people are recomending a good metal/aluminum paint, others are recomending a rockergurad type paint or even a truckicon1.png bedliner application..............any suggestion?

• grayracer513

Posted February 20, 2014 - 09:10 AM

Powder coating would be the most durable of the really practical approaches. 

• woods-rider

Posted February 20, 2014 - 09:19 AM

Powder coating is probably the best option. A true truck bedliner would be tough, but it will add some significant weight and is typically applied at about 1/4" thick which will probably cause some interference problems.

IMO anything you do to make your swingarm black will look like ass after a few rides, just like black rims do.

Edited by woods-rider, February 20, 2014 - 09:19 AM.

• saly702

Posted February 20, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Powder Coating it would be best

• schrode

Posted February 20, 2014 - 09:31 AM

anodize that sucka!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • k.g

Posted February 20, 2014 - 09:31 AM

Get a hyde racing cover. They cover the entire swingarm. I did the swingarm on my last bike in black, and it truely looked awful. Or try plasti-dip. Once you do powder, there is no going back.

• Toylee_roosta

Posted February 20, 2014 - 09:44 AM

Plasti-dip

• k.g

Posted February 20, 2014 - 10:06 AM

anodize that sucka!

Will not look good. Cast aluminum doesn't ano well, and looks bad. The brushed parts will turn out a dull color.

• RockerYZWR

Posted February 20, 2014 - 11:57 AM

There is a product called Rust Bullet that is similar to/tougher than the more common POR-15 that is used in industrial/automotive/marine applications, and is available in black. Summit Racing sells it, among others. I've used Rust Bullet extensively and highly recommend it. You'd need to put a coat of standard Rust Bullet down first (after prepping the surface), and then a coat of Rust Bullet BlackShell on top. It can be brushed, rolled, or sprayed on. It is one of the toughest coatings I know of and perfect if you're trying to do this at home.

Otherwise, powdercoating is the way to go.

• ka24s14am

Posted February 20, 2014 - 01:08 PM

Try Duracoat Firearm Finishes. It is a spray on resin for guns and is some pretty durable stuff. It holds up to holster wear so it should hold up to the wear from MX expect for times when it hits the ground but then you can always spray another coat on it. I have refinished alot of guns with it. Pretty easy to do.

• schrode

Posted February 21, 2014 - 08:22 AM

Will not look good. Cast aluminum doesn't ano well, and looks bad. The brushed parts will turn out a dull color.

what about if you polish it first? 

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2014 - 08:47 AM

The polish will improve the look, but the two (or more) different alloys used in the extruded "legs" and the cast center section will still have a very different appearance, possibly along with the axle lugs to a lesser extent. 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.