Lose three pounds for 30 bucks!

4 replies to this topic
  • MotoChris521

Posted January 10, 2004 - 07:22 PM

Well i have four rides on this set-up so far and no problems.I replaced my stock battery (7lbs.) with a KTM 525 unit(4 lbs.)and have noticed no difference when starting.I know the reserve capacity is lower,but i turn off the bike with the key so there is no drain.The terminals are reversed so i fabricated a short pos.cable extension.I bought the battery from Rocky-mountain.

• Dutch

Posted January 11, 2004 - 06:41 AM

I agree - that mod makes sense.
You know that when Honda engineered the size of that battery
they had to consider the worst case scenario, (for all the markets of that bike).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dual_Dog

Posted January 11, 2004 - 07:41 AM

Well i have four rides on this set-up so far and no problems.

3 pounds just in the battery? That's HUGE!

Got a couple questions for you. How does the battery fit, and is it fairly secure? I'm guessing this one is smaller in size than the stock unit.

I'll be looking into this (easy?) mod further. :)

• MotoChris521

Posted January 11, 2004 - 07:58 PM

You can use the stock holding plate and i used some packing material from work to make sure it was solid.I could post a photo,but i dont know how.It's a hair taller(i removed the stock thin rubber pad)but it's shorter and thinner.The most difficult part was fabing a cable extension.If you pm me i could e-mail you photos.
There probably is a smaller battery with the same terminal locations,maybe someone who works at a bike shop could check it out. :)

• Chorbelt

Posted January 12, 2004 - 11:23 AM

look at:

You can compare specs between batteries, and also different bikes.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.