2006 yz450f top end rebuild base gasket leak

4 replies to this topic
  • 88motohead88

Posted February 19, 2014 - 06:18 AM

Just rebuilt my first 4 stroke, top end, piston,rings,cylinder and gaskets. Torqued according to the manual but my base gasket is leaking!!!!! She's bleeding oil. Not much but enough to cause a drip while running. Cometic gasket set, cylinder works cylinder. Everything went fine but the base gasket didn't seem to fit as well as I thought it should. So my question is ride it and hope everything seats, sets and stops leaking?? Or pull it apart and change base gasket

• Slow and Jerky

Posted February 19, 2014 - 08:59 AM

I would replace it with an OEM gasket. I had an issue with a cheap aftermarket base gasket restricting oil flow on my 06, ended up costing me lots o money in the end. The aftermarket was paper and OEM is metal..... 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 88motohead88

Posted February 19, 2014 - 10:38 AM

Yeah don't wanna blow it up, sucks Cometic gaskets are top of the line I heard and it is metal but definitely didnt seem to fit right, I'm wondering if cylinder works cylinders are good, the threads for the clutch and cam chain tensioner werent right the bolts didn't wanna go in. So urs never stopped leaking?

• Slow and Jerky

Posted February 19, 2014 - 05:52 PM

My problem wasn't leaking, it was restricting the oil flow to the head. I didn't realize the problem until the head and cams were toast. I have pretty much decided on OEM for just about everything since then. It tends to be a little more expensive but I have had fewer problems for the most part.

• 88motohead88

Posted February 19, 2014 - 06:04 PM

Isn't there a way to check oil flow while running by taking out a bolt? I think Ill change it, sighhh. Checking the flow concerned me cause I thought maybe it's clogged and pushing oil out of the base gasket. Idk if that's possible though.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.