Zip-Ty Radiator Braces

8 replies to this topic
  • mrgem

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:15 PM

Trying to sort out my new (to me) 2003 WR450 and one thing it does not have is a set of radiator guards. I have tried several brands of guards on my DRZs and have found that the Unabiker guards are the best at resisting side impact forces -- which seems to be the most common kind of crash damage.

But it looks like Unabiker doesn't make guards for the early WR450s.  I've trashed a set of Devol guards on a relatively easy fall -- so they are not being considered. 

I'm looking for an alternative and see that Zip-Ty makes a set of radiator braces (not guards) for my bike. There are no product reviews on them to be found.

Anyone have any experience with these units? Will they survive a good hard fall?

Thanks. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 17, 2014 - 07:57 PM

Moose Racing

• mrgem

Posted February 18, 2014 - 06:52 AM

Moose Racing

Thanks....Will check them out.

• mrgem

Posted February 18, 2014 - 06:56 AM

Moose Racing

Hmmmm. Moose lists a guard for YZ450s -- but not WR450s for my year (2003). Wonder if they are the same? I always thought YZ radiators were smaller than WRs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mebgardner

Posted February 18, 2014 - 07:07 AM

There are a couple vendors on eBay, in Australia, that offer what look like bullit proof designs.

B & B, and Force Radiator.  If you can wait for the delivery time, see if they make one to fit.

I chose UnaBiker because they made a model that fit my cycle, the rest of the competition did not make anything robust enough for me, or did not make anything that fit.

• mrgem

Posted February 18, 2014 - 07:10 AM

There are a couple vendors on eBay, in Australia, that offer what look like bullit proof designs.

B & B, and Force Radiator.  If you can wait for the delivery time, see if they make one to fit.

I chose UnaBiker because they made a model that fit my cycle, the rest of the competition did not make anything robust enough for me, or did not make anything that fit.

I agree with your assessment on the Unabiker guards. Got 'em on both of my Suzukis and they will take a licking for sure. However, Unabiker doesn't cover older WRs like mine. Moose doesn't either.

What I find for this application are Devols -- and they fold up really easily when hit from the side. I don't want to be giving Myler's any more business than I need to...

• mrgem

Posted February 22, 2014 - 06:58 AM

An update for those looking for a stout radiator guard for an EARLY Wr450 (lotsa options for those with 2005 and later bikes):

Flatland Racing makes a guard with pretty heavy duty bracing..certainly a lot beefier than those made by Devol. Talked to 3 vendors before I found one with an early 450 guard in stock. A place called "Cycle Buy" in Oregon has shipped one and it should be in my hands by Tuesday, 2/25.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

• mrgem

Posted February 25, 2014 - 06:16 PM

Flatland Racing guards arrived today. They look pretty robust. Reading through the installation instructions and looks like they require trimming some of the plastic gusseting on the backside of the radiator side covers...No big deal. 

• mrgem

Posted February 26, 2014 - 05:48 PM

Flatland Racing guards arrived today. They look pretty robust. Reading through the installation instructions and looks like they require trimming some of the plastic gusseting on the backside of the radiator side covers...No big deal. 

Installed the Flatland radiator guards today. Installation was VERY straightforward - despite the fact that the instruction sheet was about the size of a credit card. The guard itself is made of heavy aluminum and it has a very stout brace that runs behind the radiator and ties to the frame. Should be very strong. Next task: Mount the bash plate and take it out and ride on the next day of 40+ degree weather. I cannot wait.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.