2013 ('12+) WR450F Would Not Start: Kinked gas line.

Yamaha WR450F Fuel & Air Fuel Lines

5 replies to this topic
  • mebgardner

Posted February 15, 2014 - 04:39 PM

So, this cycle and my wrench are still getting aquainted...

I had it apart for the initial valve clearance inspection (it passed), and it would not start upon re-assembly.  Cranked and cranked, but no fire.

The Fuel Injection system has a long gas line from the tank to the FI intake, and it can rotate on some of the connectors.

The fuel line is long so the mechanic can tilt the gas tank up 'n back out of the way during service (its good that way).

Problem is, it can "kink" pinch closed if not stuffed back together just the way it came out...

You'll hear the pump pressurize the line, but no fuel will get to the FI.

Heads up for ya...

• woods-rider

Posted February 17, 2014 - 12:25 PM

I did the same thing after I installed my 3 gal IMS tank. This being my first FI bike I had to scratch my head for a bit before I found the problem. I felt like an idiot once I found it though.

• RockerYZWR

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:13 PM

You couldn't have felt dumber than I did recently kicking my bike to death over the course of an hour or so trying to figure out why it wouldn't start when it was running great hours earlier. It wasn't even trying. Started removing stuff to look at the plug, pulled the fuel line off the carb and not a drop of fuel spilled out. Went to reserve, and fuel came pouring out. I didn't realize how far I had burned that tank down. Hooked it back up, added some gas, and big surprise, it started immediately.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but it can happen to anybody I guess. The on/off switch still gets me once in awhile, too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mebgardner

Posted February 18, 2014 - 06:34 AM

I did the same thing after I installed my 3 gal IMS tank. This being my first FI bike I had to scratch my head for a bit before I found the problem. I felt like an idiot once I found it though.

Got my tank IMS on the way.  I had too much "range anxiety" to not get something larger than OEM, and I dont like to carry gas on my back.

Edited by mebgardner, February 18, 2014 - 06:35 AM.

• cubera

Posted March 06, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Got my tank IMS on the way.  I had too much "range anxiety" to not get something larger than OEM, and I dont like to carry gas on my back.

Just put one on today. Any idea about "safe" range? I'm thinking maybe 60 miles.

• mebgardner

Posted March 07, 2014 - 06:37 AM

I've been reading your posts, and I think I'm somewhat familiar with your skill level and type of terrain you ride in.

I dont know what FI map you'll choose to use, and that makes a big difference too, I believe that choice can swing it +/- 50% difference.

But, considering all that, I'm thinking 20 MPG is conservative for you, for your terrain.

I notice the "natural" color IMS tank is translucent: I can tell my remaining fuel level in the tank, and I like that "feature".

Related Content

Wiki
Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods - last post by Super_Davee

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  27 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies
Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.