09 vs 10-13 vs 14 YZ450F differences?

65 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted February 16, 2014 - 10:49 AM

Wheel bearings will not convert your WR rear wheel to fit the '09.  No such bearings exist.  As I have already mentioned, there's no practical means of conversion at this point in time. 

• mliebal

Posted February 16, 2014 - 12:22 PM

Good luck, hope you get the bike.

BTW, I got some steel sleeves made to use my o6 yz250 wheel and axle on my 09 yzf450. The sleeves go through the axle block  and up to the wheel spacers.

No issues. The steel is kind of thin, but really there is no stress on them to make a difference.

• crb357

Posted February 16, 2014 - 06:43 PM

Wheel bearings will not convert your WR rear wheel to fit the '09.  No such bearings exist.  As I have already mentioned, there's no practical means of conversion at this point in time.

So the 09 hub is completely different than the previous hub? I was under the impression that I could remove the 22mm id bearings out the older hub, and install the 2009 25mm id bearing, plus use 09 axle and spacers???? I'm not looking to continously swap wheels, but I want to remove my 18" rim and spokes off the WR and use it on the 09 YZ.

• grayracer513

Posted February 17, 2014 - 07:24 AM

Completely different hub.  The spoke set for the '08 and '09 rear hub is also a different part number, which suggests the hub width or spoke flange diameters are also different.

• 06yz

Posted February 17, 2014 - 07:50 AM

Did the bike sell or are you going to look at it? 

You and I are similar, I had an '06 yz250 from '06-'11.  I just got an '09 yz450f last fall.  I race hare scrambles/gncc.  I'm not near your speed though, only c class.  Like someone else said I was able to pick up my bike with very low hours on it, based on the case wear, or lack of, I'm guessing around 20 hours.  I was originally looking at '10-'12 yz's for the fuel injection but I then started looking at '09s and liked the pricing.  I found mine for $2200, looked to be all stock except for fmf power bomb and rear sprocket, still looked new.  Due to the low purchase price I was able to send the suspension to Factory Connection.  Put on Cycra Probends, graphics, GPR stabilizer, and a FMF silencer.  I love this bike in the woods.  The engine is obviously strong but not jerky.  The bike comes with the best stock suspension but now it's  great.  I know I made the right choice, the '10-'12 isn't going to make me any better.  I did clean the carb when I got it but after that it hasn't needed adjusting.  If I do need to go into the carb I'll throw some JD Jets in there.

http://motocrossacti...tting-5584.aspx

http://motocrossacti...SPECS-3267.aspx

MAX!!!

Posted February 17, 2014 - 08:35 AM

If the money is there for a newer WR you should really consider riding one. I'm a big fan of the 07-09' Yz's for offroad singletrack/racing etc but my 13' WR is all around just a little better. I ride it pretty much in stock form and my pace hasn't suffered at all considering the extra 35lbs and soft springs. I had an 07' YZ with a completely offroad race set up and the WR is just easier to ride and turns a tighter line etc. The YZ with a swapped out tranny would be a better desert racer (better high speed stability) but the WR is a better tight course bike. One of the guys I ride with has an 08' YZ set up for offroad similar to my 07' and after riding my WR a few times is now looking for a good deal on a WR. IMO, put a pipe, stabilizer, proper springs in the WR, shed the little extra weight and it is a bike with serious potential.

• crb357

Posted February 17, 2014 - 08:49 AM

Completely different hub.  The spoke set for the '08 and '09 rear hub is also a different part number, which suggests the hub width or spoke flange diameters are also different.

Thanks again. I knew the "guts" were different to accept the bigger axle, but totally missed that it was a new hub.

• crb357

Posted February 17, 2014 - 08:56 AM

Did the bike sell or are you going to look at it? 

You and I are similar, I had an '06 yz250 from '06-'11.  I just got an '09 yz450f last fall.  I race hare scrambles/gncc.  I'm not near your speed though, only c class.  Like someone else said I was able to pick up my bike with very low hours on it, based on the case wear, or lack of, I'm guessing around 20 hours.  I was originally looking at '10-'12 yz's for the fuel injection but I then started looking at '09s and liked the pricing.  I found mine for $2200, looked to be all stock except for fmf power bomb and rear sprocket, still looked new.  Due to the low purchase price I was able to send the suspension to Factory Connection.  Put on Cycra Probends, graphics, GPR stabilizer, and a FMF silencer.  I love this bike in the woods.  The engine is obviously strong but not jerky.  The bike comes with the best stock suspension but now it's  great.  I know I made the right choice, the '10-'12 isn't going to make me any better.  I did clean the carb when I got it but after that it hasn't needed adjusting.  If I do need to go into the carb I'll throw some JD Jets in there.

http://motocrossacti...tting-5584.aspx

http://motocrossacti...SPECS-3267.aspx

MAX!!!

Yeah, sadly it sold yesterday evening. I knew it would. However, I've found about 5 more that I'm looking at today. LOL
Will keep you posted as I will post a pic of it in my truck after I load it up.

• crb357

Posted February 17, 2014 - 09:29 AM

If the money is there for a newer WR you should really consider riding one. I'm a big fan of the 07-09' Yz's for offroad singletrack/racing etc but my 13' WR is all around just a little better. I ride it pretty much in stock form and my pace hasn't suffered at all considering the extra 35lbs and soft springs. I had an 07' YZ with a completely offroad race set up and the WR is just easier to ride and turns a tighter line etc. The YZ with a swapped out tranny would be a better desert racer (better high speed stability) but the WR is a better tight course bike. One of the guys I ride with has an 08' YZ set up for offroad similar to my 07' and after riding my WR a few times is now looking for a good deal on a WR. IMO, put a pipe, stabilizer, proper springs in the WR, shed the little extra weight and it is a bike with serious potential.

I agree about WR's, in particular the new ones with better turning frames and the SSS Fork. Which is why I want a YZ450F. Let me explain. My 09 WR is dialed and I can haul ass on it. So my theory is that a 09 YZF is 30 lighter than a WR, has the SSS Fork that I love, so I should be a little faster for a longer period of time. Plus I can add the WR complete tranny if I don't like the Short Ratio for racing. Since I already have a WR, I don't have to be pulling lights, mirrors, switches, swapping tanks out, and license plates from ride to ride. Just have the YZ450 as a pure race bike. No thought given to everyday comfort, convenience, compromises for trail or DS riding. It is for just racing only. I just load up the YZF for racing and load the WR for casual trail riding, DS, riding with my boy etc....hell bring them both.

I also think the the short ratio tranny will be fine bc I won't use this bike for trail riding or DS stuff. That was my problem in the past was how the short ratio was for trail riding. Now I don't need it to do several things. I just need it to haul me as fast as I dare to go. That is it.

I want an FI bike, but I think I can accomplish what I want with the FCR on an 09, for a 1/3 of the price. Hell I have no choice really, my son's school cost me $12k a year.

That is my thought process.

Posted February 17, 2014 - 11:27 AM

Totally understand, I was just comparing what I had in my 07" (which I liked a lot) vs the newer Wr. It really is the frame on the Wr that makes the difference, everything else is just tuning. The short ratio tranny to me is better for racing unless you need a higher top end. The FI is great for being able to tune but there are very few instances where I even notice the difference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crb357

Posted February 17, 2014 - 12:45 PM

Totally understand, I was just comparing what I had in my 07" (which I liked a lot) vs the newer Wr. It really is the frame on the Wr that makes the difference, everything else is just tuning. The short ratio tranny to me is better for racing unless you need a higher top end. The FI is great for being able to tune but there are very few instances where I even notice the difference.

We are on the same page.

• crb357

Posted February 17, 2014 - 12:47 PM

Just renegotiated with the boss. Had to bc all the other 5 bikes were $800-$1000 more than the one we had agreed upon. This worked out good though, bc it looks like if I'm patient and hold off till May, then my budget will be much higher. I still want an 09, if I like it, I will be able to immediately get it set up with full suspension rebuild and tuned, another 09 hub and 18" wheel, new tires w/Bib Mousse, exhaust, tall soft seat, tank, sub mount, oversized front rotor, new brake pads, guards, and whatever surprises pop up. I've never really done that before like that. So I'm looking forward to that. I'm still on the lookout for a cheap low hr 09 though, so we'll see if we make it to May.

Edited by Singletrack9, February 17, 2014 - 01:19 PM.

• crb357

Posted February 17, 2014 - 02:38 PM

Jason Raines mentioned that he loved the WR cams in the YZ450. This is 09 on back, not the 10+ YZ. Anyone have any experience with that?

• 06yz

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:03 PM

what is the deal with running an 18" rear, offroad?  I know that alot of guys run them but what is the perceived advantage?

MAX!!!

• suzuki son of a bitch

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:27 PM

what is the deal with running an 18" rear, offroad? I know that alot of guys run them but what is the perceived advantage?

MAX!!!

the 18 inch rear rim is for desert. The tires wall is thicker on the 18 making flats rarely

• crb357

Posted February 17, 2014 - 07:08 PM

It is also a much more comfortable ride. You can slam into stuff a little harder and that extra sidewall height soaks it up better.

• f150jokerstyle

Posted February 19, 2014 - 09:07 PM

I spent a bunch of money on a fancy 18 on my old yz. On my 09 I'm running the stock 19. I would rather spend the money for an 18 on a nice dinner with the wife. I actually like the 19 better in all conditions I ride and not much of that is the track. I think the added weight is more of a disadvantage than any extra bit of side wall can provide. The weight is a disadvantage in the suspension/handling/power departments. The ride comfort theory does not apply to me because I don't sit down in rocks or rough stuff. The pinch flat theory I'm willing to risk for the savings in weight and handling.

For a dual sport/trail bike I would for sure run a 18 to save some body wear/possible pinch flat. But for racing I much prefer the 19 for pure performance.

Realize this is my perception, some agree some don't.

• crb357

Posted February 20, 2014 - 04:57 AM

To each his own. Driving 8-10 hrs round trip for a race and getting a flat sucks.

Edited by Singletrack9, February 20, 2014 - 01:01 PM.

• tnat1

Posted February 20, 2014 - 05:32 AM

If wheel interchangeability is a big deal, you might want an '08. The swing arm change on the '09 requires a 25mm axle, and no practical means of adapting the '08 and earlier 22mm wheel/axle has yet been found. The '08 can use the wheels off your WR, should that come up. The '09 couldn't use the rear.

Otherwise, the two bikes are nearly identical.

my buddy had a 09 with 08 sumo wheels he got 08 axle,axle blocks and made a shim spacer for rear brake brake bracket. problem solved .

• RockerYZWR

Posted February 20, 2014 - 06:01 AM

FWIW, it's not too difficult to get to the main and pilot jets with the carb on the bike. Drain the bowl, loosen the carb boots, and from the shifter side, you can twist the carb just enough to remove the bowl and get a shorty flathead in there to change the jets. Small dental-type mirror, flashlight, and some zen power to know where the holes are without being able to see them helps quite a bit. But it still beats disassembling the back of the bike by a long shot. I can change main and pilot jets in 20 minutes.
This is on the WR - I think it would be about the same on the YZ.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.