Make 06-09 yz450f into efi?

12 replies to this topic
  • antcinq454

Posted February 12, 2014 - 10:54 AM

I was just wondering if it would be at all possible to convert an 06-09 yz450f to efi by using the efi system out of a yfz450r... Just a cool project me and my friend would want to do for some fun... I just like that style motor and the look waaaay better than the 2010 +

• cowboyona426

Posted February 12, 2014 - 11:02 AM

Getting the fuel pump into the tank is going to be your biggest issue.  Other than that, anything is possible with enough time, effort, and most importantly $.

• antcinq454

Posted February 12, 2014 - 11:12 AM

Getting the fuel pump into the tank is going to be your biggest issue.  Other than that, anything is possible with enough time, effort, and most importantly $.

yeah lol money is an object... Could probably build a tank out of metal like the new rm-z's... Sounds pointless and a waste of time but I'll do it some day haha.. College consumes all of my money now.

• cowboyona426

Posted February 12, 2014 - 12:02 PM

The thought of fitting EFI to my bike has crossed my mind too, but the fuel pump issue is a huge one and I'd rather just sell the one I have and buy either of the two bikes that I've had my eye on that already have EFI.

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2014 - 12:07 PM

The pump is far from the biggest problem. How about the crankshaft?

The EFI system needs the stator & rotor from the quad. The rotor won't fit the yz450 crank, so you'll need at least the left crank axle from the YFZ or WR, plus the ignition side case cover, among many other things.

• cowboyona426

Posted February 12, 2014 - 01:59 PM

The pump is far from the biggest problem. How about the crankshaft?

The EFI system needs the stator & rotor from the quad. The rotor won't fit the yz450 crank, so you'll need at least the left crank axle from the YFZ or WR, plus the ignition side case cover, among many other things.

Newer EFI YZ stator and rotor is not an option?  If not that really kills the minimal viability this mod ever had.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2014 - 04:19 PM

Newer EFI YZ stator and rotor is not an option? If not that really kills the minimal viability this mod ever had.

I seriously doubt that the gen3 EFI rotor will fit the gen2 crank.

• Slow and Jerky

Posted February 13, 2014 - 09:13 AM

I wonder if the WR efi system would be a better fit. I don't think they made allot of changes to the engine like they did with the YZ, But I do think the crank angle sensor would be an issue and getting your YZ to produce enough electricity (new stator) to actually run the fuel pump.....

• cowboyona426

Posted February 13, 2014 - 09:24 AM

I wonder if the WR efi system would be a better fit. I don't think they made allot of changes to the engine like they did with the YZ, But I do think the crank angle sensor would be an issue and getting your YZ to produce enough electricity (new stator) to actually run the fuel pump.....

Did you not read what grayracer wrote?  The WR flywheel and stator won't fit on the YZ crank.

• RLV199

Posted February 15, 2014 - 03:36 PM

Selling your bike and buying a 10+ would be much easier and most likely cheaper

• rdefonce

Posted February 16, 2014 - 08:36 AM

Selling your bike and buying a 10+ would be much easier and most likely cheaper

but since the OP wanted the "old" style of motor because of its styling, etc. . . . maybe they should just retrofit the components from a YFZ quad (motor, fuel tank, etc.)

• RLV199

Posted February 16, 2014 - 08:39 AM

Oh somehow missed that part. Well yeah i think you would have to basically put the quad in there .. Might as well go e start as well lol

• grayracer513

Posted February 16, 2014 - 10:56 AM

The quad crankcases will not fit the motorcycle frame.  Once you've installed a WR450 crank into the YZ450 cases, you can complete the rest of the conversion.  Shouldn't cost more than $3000.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.