Anyone Used Baja Designs Key Switch?

12 replies to this topic
  • mrgem

Posted February 12, 2014 - 07:32 AM

Did a search here for specific instructions on how to mount and wire B-D's key and switch (Baja Designs KeySwitch 12-8001) and couldn't find one. I know the switch is 2-wire with bullet ends. Any personal experience with replacing Yamaha's power on button with this switch? Did it involve cutting the factory harness?

TIA

• mebgardner

Posted February 12, 2014 - 10:00 AM

Did a search here for specific instructions on how to mount and wire B-D's key and switch (Baja Designs KeySwitch 12-8001) and couldn't find one. I know the switch is 2-wire with bullet ends. Any personal experience with replacing Yamaha's power on button with this switch? Did it involve cutting the factory harness?

TIA

I've used it as they describe to install it, but not as a replacement to the power on button.

They describe it as a replacement to the kill switch.

I use it in this manner (as a kill key switch).  It works fine like that.  I mount it on the handlebar clamp mount, right side of the clamp, pointing up and facing me.  I tried using their described location (on the upper right fork clamp bolt) and that interefered with my acerbis hand guards. So, I moved it...

• mrgem

Posted February 12, 2014 - 05:28 PM

I've used it as they describe to install it, but not as a replacement to the power on button.

They describe it as a replacement to the kill switch.

I use it in this manner (as a kill key switch).  It works fine like that.  I mount it on the handlebar clamp mount, right side of the clamp, pointing up and facing me.  I tried using their described location (on the upper right fork clamp bolt) and that interefered with my acerbis hand guards. So, I moved it...

Thanks! Assume cutting the factory wires was not required?

• flyandride

Posted February 12, 2014 - 05:39 PM

I used a BD key switch for the ignition kill switch and to kill the lights.  It's a 4 wire switch going to a plug and the other side of it only has 2 wires. So I cut off the plug and got both functions.  It's a 2 pole switch, meaning 2 circuits go through it.  In either position one is open and one is closed.  

For the power on switch I used a common Yamaha ignition starter switch on the right side, 30 bucks.   

http://www.ebay.com/...b47455f&vxp=mtr

There's a vender on ebay motors that sells that switch all ready to plug into where the push button switch goes for 58 bucks. 

http://www.ebay.com/...89e2fd8&vxp=mtr

• flyandride

Posted February 12, 2014 - 06:46 PM

More: you could use the BD switch for power on.  Take off the push button power on and cut it's wires.  The red and brown wire need to connect to turn it on.  Connect those to whichever 2 wires on the BD switch close when it's in the on position.  The other pole can be used for the kill switch as they close when it's in the off position. 

I used that pole on the BD switch for the lights.  I've converted both WRs to all DC.  Left the lights on once and ruined a lithium battery.  

• mebgardner

Posted February 13, 2014 - 07:17 AM

Thanks! Assume cutting the factory wires was not required?

Correct.  It connected directly to the kill switch socket.  Remove the old, plug in the new. Done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mrgem

Posted February 13, 2014 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for the tips.

Sounds like it requires cutting factory wires if you use it to replace the "power on" button -- but does not require cutting factory wiring if it replaces the kill switch?

• funt

Posted February 13, 2014 - 09:14 AM

I used posi taps.  I didn't cut any wires but they make a hole in the insulation.  I have a 4 wire switch though.  Can you remove the key in both positions?  I think the wires connect in the key off position on the baja designs switch.  You want to be able to pull out the key when you shut off the bike. 

• bobpara

Posted February 13, 2014 - 10:43 AM

I have the same bike, and encountered the same situation when installing my Baja Kit. In the end, I could not eliminate the on/off button that was on the WR

Its an odd setup, with an on/off button AND a keyswitch. For that reason, I tried to eliminate it, and it seemed easy.....a simple two wire device. Jumped a couple wires,

this, and that.....nothing. Called Baja and they said that on/off button has to stay. If anyone figures out how to eliminate it, pls tell.

• funt

Posted February 13, 2014 - 01:06 PM

I used the power and ignition key switch towards the bottom of this page...  http://www.procycle....skits/dskit.htm

It has 4 wires.  You can hook it up to the kill switch or the power button or both.  Sicass racing also has a universal 4 wire key switch... http://sicassracing....products_id=312

Or you could probably do it with a relay but that's a little complicated for me.

Edited by funt, February 13, 2014 - 07:34 PM.

• KennyMc

Posted February 13, 2014 - 11:33 PM

Well I have their Dual Sport kit on my '07 WR450 and have the keyed switch.  I also have their compact handlebar switch for the headlight and turn signals which does not have the on/off switch.  So I just have the keyed switch and the computer on/off switch.

• mrgem

Posted February 14, 2014 - 05:00 PM

Thanks to all for their suggestions and alternatives!

• mattmitchell22

Posted February 16, 2014 - 12:12 AM

I just added one to my 12 WR450. If you unplug square female plug with two bullet connectors (goes to kill switch) the male end will plug directly into your on off connecter, BUT you will lose your low fuel light. I ended up leaving on off button mounted but disconnected and unpinned two extra wires of baja key switch and pinned the two from on off switch low fuel light. Everything works now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.