"WR450 Woodruff Key Problem is SOLVED" -

44 replies to this topic
  • Wrench

Posted January 21, 2004 - 03:16 PM

Icebox you beat me to it. We can only hope he goes through with his threat to ride red.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 21, 2004 - 04:56 PM

Hey lets get it straight. Most members love their WR's. I know I bought the right bike! It is an awesome off road machine. Other than the woodruff key issue this bike is very well engineered! Look at the other forums and you will find issues riding red, yellow, orange, or green. The permanent fix is in upgrading to 04 starter torque limiter parts with or without Yamaha support. I don't blame Yamaha but I am disappointed in Yamaha USA customer service attitude. They could have acknowledged the design improvement and gave the unhappy customers a deal for the parts at Yamaha cost or free upgrade for new 03's sold that are still under 30 day warranty. :)

• timvv51

Posted January 21, 2004 - 08:51 PM

Some of the problem is if your dealer is like the one I bought mine from they dont give a rats patat about you after they have your cash. Tim

• Alabama_Rider

Posted January 30, 2004 - 09:16 PM

I will wait and see how the 04 conversions work. If INDY and the rest don't have any problems then I will make an offer to my dealer to pay for the 04 parts, if he puts them it...... :) There is only one problem. Yamaha says you cannot modify your WR450 from stock.... They are still covering their AXS. :D

• beezer

Posted January 31, 2004 - 04:11 AM

Don't you have anything else on your mind besides the woody key?

Do you ever think of anything else?

I think we should all chip in and buy Alabam a Honda.

I think everyone that had anything to do with you buying a WR is truly sorry.

• N7SLC

Posted January 31, 2004 - 06:44 AM

You guys should have bought DRZ's(just kidding)...

That's a good one. I know that my bro,
ddialogue, although never having a starter
problem, still worries about it and is
considering purchasing the parts to do
the '04 upgrade.

Ok, while we're stirring the pot, here's
my take...

As long as there are '03 WR450s out there,
there's always going to be someone with a
starter problem. So the topic's been ridden
harder than a dead horse, so what? Fellow TT'rs
are here to help, right?

The WR450 is a full-blown race bike. It seems
to me that Yamaha's addition of the starter
was premature. They're so darned worried
about saving weight that they installed a
starter that's defective and too small for
the job. With all of the other high performance
machines out there with e-starts, it
seems (to me anyway) that Yamaha rushed the
e-start on the WR to market to keep up with
the competition but failed to do the proper testing.

Can't use the starter when the bike is cold?
What?!? Come on Big Y and add a pound or two
to the bike and make a decent starter.

The DRZ is the best trailbike out there and
was never designed to compete with the WR.
However, Yamaha could learn something from
Suzuki and build a starter similar to the DRZ.
It's twice the size, cranks fine in cold
weather and you'll find not one starter
failure among TT'rs...

You lucky '03 WR owners were just Yamaha's
Beta Testers... :)

• Math

Posted January 31, 2004 - 09:03 AM

I understand your point about the need for a one pound heavier starter but you did not compare a DRZ to a WR did you? :)

• N7SLC

Posted January 31, 2004 - 09:35 AM

I understand your point about the need for a one pound heavier starter but you did not compare a DRZ to a WR did you? :)

Nope, I did NOT compare the two. How can you?

The WR is a superior race bike.

The DRZ is a superior trail bike.

Both bikes are superior in the markets that they are targeted for. :D

I simply stated that Yamaha ought to get a clue and build a better starter, even if it meant adding a pound or two to the WR.

Dan

• ddialogue

Posted January 31, 2004 - 05:47 PM

the '04 upgrade.

Woodruff key failed today after 2600+ miles...bummer. :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 31, 2004 - 07:57 PM

Sorry to hear that Dave. I am glad it did not happen at Moab or on another big trip. Bad timing Dave but at least it was not the engine case or starter clutch and gears. :D It looks like your idea to retrofit ASAP was good. :) I am glad I did it when you told me to get off my ass and do it. Everyone take a lesson from Dave and get ordering the parts! Check out the procedure on Dave's web site: www.wr450.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted February 03, 2004 - 05:33 PM

Fine, I understand your point.

But I'm not even sure that the DRZ is a better trail bike because I consider the suspension, frame and balance beeing superior on the Wr and that is very useful in trails. DRZ are good play-around bikes for sure, they might get the job done as well as a WR would do in many cases but there is no real situation where the DRZ would be "better" than the WRs...

Just my opinion. Anyway...

I agree that Yam should have wait for a year at least to avoid the e-starter problems.. It is not like those bikes were so hard to start anyway even in 2002. I imagine that the auto-decomp makes it even easier to kickstart. The 03 would have been great even without the e-start... absolutely right you are N7SLC :)

• Alabama_Rider

Posted February 04, 2004 - 09:00 PM

the '04 upgrade.

Woodruff key failed today after 2600+ miles...bummer. :)

Another day on a Yamy and another FAILED Key. sorry to hear it Dave. We all know it is only a matter of time before it happens to every WR450. A design defect is a design defect. It will not go away. Yamaha wants us to pay for their shoddy engineering and beta testing... :D

Beezer, ICE, Wrench, I accept your offer for a Honda CRF250X. :D :D :D

• ddialogue

Posted February 05, 2004 - 04:22 AM

Stopped into my local dealer yesterday to pick up some spare woodruff keys and a flywheel puller for the fanny pack. The parts guys' jaw hit the counter when I asked him for FOUR woodruff keys for my WR450. :D Now that mine has failed, any hope of not having this problem with my bike is long gone. If this happens again, it will be the '04 parts, the TSB and maybe a KTM...JEEZ, I can't believe I just said that. :)

• yamaharichey

Posted February 05, 2004 - 06:18 AM

DDialouge I can't beleive a nice guy like you used the "K" word right here if front of all us yamaha guys, shame on you. If your going to do any looking for a new bike consider trading it in for a new 04 WR.

• sjw

Posted February 05, 2004 - 08:07 AM

Alabama-rider,are you saying you think that every 03wr 450 will fail ?

• ddialogue

Posted February 05, 2004 - 09:27 AM

I LOVE MY WR!!!

Seriously, if I were to sell it, a 04 WR450 would takes it's place. :)

• ddialogue

Posted February 05, 2004 - 09:37 AM

I don't think every 03 WR450 is going to fail. Indy_WR450's bike is proof of that: 6200+ miles for 2003 with no TSB and no issues. However, at 2600 miles I thought I was out of the woods but it was not to be. At the very least, I think if you're concerned about getting caught in the middle of nowhere with a sheared woodruff key, pack the spare parts and tools to fix it. I will be! :)

• endurodog

Posted February 05, 2004 - 10:26 AM

He gets pretty wound up about this issue. His is actually one that hasn't failed.

Let me be a voice of reason. Don't get me wrong there is a problem but the truth is most havn't and most won't. Now with that being said I really think Yamaha should make the problem right and if not I sure want to do the 04 parts upgrade. There have been to many failures for it to be an isolated problem.

• yamaboy233

Posted February 05, 2004 - 12:36 PM

I will wait and see how the 04 conversions work. If INDY and the rest don't have any problems then I will make an offer to my dealer to pay for the 04 parts, if he puts them it...... :D There is only one problem. Yamaha says you cannot modify your WR450 from stock.... They are still covering their AXS. :)

I've done the conversion, my Yamaha dealer gave me the parts at cost. He called Yamaha tech support and they said it's your bike you can modify it all you want. Where's the problem?

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 05, 2004 - 02:01 PM

We need to get Terry Tate office linebacker to work for Yamaha customer service here in the US! Now I would pay to see that. :) :D :D Check out his video on sensitivity training: http://www.terrytate.reebok.com/
:D :D :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.