Stock header on my 06 YZ450?

9 replies to this topic
  • sped68

Posted February 11, 2014 - 12:38 PM

I picked up a new to me 06 YZ450 last fall and have spent some time this winter going through it.  I'm quite happy with the state I have the bike in now except for the header.  When I first got it I had noticed the header was quite close to the coolant hose going into the pump housing.  I figured maybe it was just rotated down.  Since then I have gone through the top end, changed the header gasket etc and tried to position the header farther away from the hose but when I tighten the header flange it seems to settle it back to the same position. 

I have been looking at pictures of other 06's and in comparison my header appears to not extend as far forward as others, and possibly the radius of the bend is smaller.  I really don't think it is bent but is it possible it has the wrong header on it?  I'll attach a picture (hopefully), so you can see what I mean.

20140208_171657_zpsgjredptq.jpg

20140208_171649_zpskrcz1oae.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2014 - 01:56 PM

Looks like the whole stock '06 system to me.  I have one at home.  I'll look at the header this evening.

• sped68

Posted February 11, 2014 - 06:40 PM

When I look at this picture of a stock 06 yz450 its header definitely looks like it extends out farther than mine.

photo-4_zps8jd215yq.JPG

• writebrian

Posted February 11, 2014 - 09:46 PM

That does look awful close. A cheap safety precaution would be fiberglass header wrap on the portion. I have my whole header wrapped in it as I kept burning my pants on my aftermarket Akrapovic header with no guard. No problems since. A full roll cost you less than $10 bucks at Autozone.

• sped68

Posted February 12, 2014 - 10:32 AM

That does look awful close. A cheap safety precaution would be fiberglass header wrap on the portion. I have my whole header wrapped in it as I kept burning my pants on my aftermarket Akrapovic header with no guard. No problems since. A full roll cost you less than $10 bucks at Autozone.

That is an option I suppose but it would be tight even getting the wrap on the header, it would be touching the hose.

Does anyone have a picture they could put up of the FMF powerbomb header installed on a 06?  From the pictures I have found it seems to be a shorter pipe than what is on the stock 06 anniversary edtion picture I linked to.  I'm mainly curious how far out from the side of the hose it comes.  I have been reading conflicting info on the powerbomb fitment on 06's because they say they fit 03-06's even though the stock headers are different from 03-05 and 06. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2014 - 12:02 PM

Well, you appear to have a 426 header on there now, so... Unless the pipe is less than 1/8" from the hose, don't worry about that part.

The power bomb fits both as advertised.

• sped68

Posted February 13, 2014 - 05:49 AM

I think I am leaning towards the FMF powerbomb header to replace the pipe that is on it then.  Any issue running the powerbomb with the stock muffler? 

• writebrian

Posted February 13, 2014 - 09:47 AM

Fluid going through that short pipe is in serious motion. I dont think there is much opportunity for heat transfer to take place. Look how close your header comes to the bottom of your right radiator tank at the bottom. Does that bother you?

Edited by writebrian, February 13, 2014 - 09:47 AM.

• sped68

Posted February 13, 2014 - 12:59 PM

The problem is the header is so close that it started to melt the old rubber hose.  I have replaced the hose but obviously don't want it to melt through on the new hose.  Now I'm sure i could fit some heat wrap between the hose and header but it bugs me that it is so close and it's obviously not the correct header anyhow.

• writebrian

Posted February 13, 2014 - 04:21 PM

If it's melting the hose then you better fix it! I will restate, header wrap is a cheap fix with no down side. I would actually wrap the hose rather than the header and use the existing upper and lower hose clamps to hold it in place. Fixed!

I can touch my header wrap with my bare hand after riding all day. It's obviously warm but does not burn the hand.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.