too cold to test

6 replies to this topic
  • willy_fitz

Posted January 09, 2004 - 07:21 PM

Well I just finished upgrading the starter idler gear. Yamaha Canada had replaced the crank and rotor and gave me the required idler gear all at no cost to me :) I also got the new z-start and scotts damper installed and am itching to get out to try them.
The only problem is that the temperature is at -24 Celsius outside my door and i'm too old and too much of a wimp to challange the elements. I can't believe it was +16 Celsius (60 F)just last weekend. It appears winter has arrived up here in the Great White North :D and it is time to hibernate till the spring breakup :D

Willy Fitz

• tvawr450

Posted January 09, 2004 - 10:12 PM

Hey Willy, did you have any previous failurs of the woodruff key/crankshaft or did yamaha canada just upgrade you because of all the other people that have had problems??

I'm just wondering because I was in my local yamaha dealer a couple of weeks ago and the service guy hadn't heard anything about the starter gear upgrade. :)

I haven't had any problems yet and I have about 2000 kms on my 03 and had the lap and loctite fix done at the dealer. But its still in the back of my mind when I get 50 or 60 kms from the truck..

thanks in advance Todd in b.c. :D

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 10, 2004 - 10:21 AM

Let us know how you managed to get Yamaha to pay for it. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tctrailrider

Posted January 10, 2004 - 11:35 AM

Re: too cold to test

Tell than to Yzman

• endurodog

Posted January 10, 2004 - 11:41 AM

Let us know how you managed to get Yamaha to pay for it.

Sure sounds like Yamaha Canada is working a lot harder at customer service Yamaha USA. I'm seeing Red in my future.

• willy_fitz

Posted January 10, 2004 - 06:15 PM

I did have a key failure and happened to be wearing mu heart monitor that day, After pushing the bike out of the woods with a few stops when the monitor started alarming, I took the bike over to my dealer and downloaded my heart monitor onto my laptop and showed my dealer that this bike almost gave me a heart attack. I may have also mentioned something about estate lawyers. I was told by my dealer that once the key had failed there was a high likelihood that the key would fail again and that there was a program in place to replace the crank (This was in late September). At the same time I was told that the service rep was attempting to get the 04 starter idler parts to upgrade the system. I personally know the service rep since he is in my bike club and had a chat with him at one of our meetings and basically got told the story as to what was going down.
From what I can gather I was just very fortunate to have an excellent dealer and service rep that understand the value of customer service. From what I have been told it is still up to the area service rep as to whether Yamaha Canada will provide the upgrades but all I can say is that my experience was extremely positive. Unfortunately from the posts I have read the same cannot be said elsewhere :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 10, 2004 - 06:36 PM

As in life it is "who you know" that gets things done. Good for you. :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.