Stuck axle nut on 426

7 replies to this topic
  • Dan222

Posted January 04, 2002 - 11:42 AM

Has anyone else had the nut on the rear axle get stuck? It's a new bike, 7 mo old, and it's always been sort of stuck - I could back it off just enough to get the chain adjusted, but I could see that it was a problem. Recently it was so tight that it caused the other side of the axle to spin against the little metal plate that is supposed to keep it from spinning, and that metal piece is ruined. I am putting all new stuff on, and I'll use anti-seize, but any other hints would be appreciated.

• Scott_Aldahl

Posted January 04, 2002 - 02:08 PM

I have never had that problem before. Maybe you are tightening it to much. Check to see what it is to be torqued at in your manual....

• Flying_Fynn

Posted January 04, 2002 - 02:18 PM

If you replace your axle with a titanium one, be sure to use a regular steel nut, not a titanium nut. Matching titanium nuts to titanium bolts will suposedly result in the problem you've described (anybody experienced this?).

Another potential trouble spot to warn you about is the steel chain adjuster screws that can "weld" themselves into the aluminum swingarm. Antiseize might be a good idea there as well.

• Norman

Posted January 04, 2002 - 06:38 PM

I had the same thing happen on my 2000, someone overtightened the nut, I had to replace the axle, nut, and adjuster block. Make sure you torque the nut to the proper specs, after I did this I have never had a problem with it again, must be something to do with Yamaha, my R1 axle did the same thing.

Norman K.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan222

Posted January 04, 2002 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for everyone's replies.
Norman - did you use any anti-seize on the new install?

• Looped_Out

Posted January 05, 2002 - 04:08 PM

Speaking of torquing the axle nut, I think the manual said 90 ft lbs. Seems like a lot, I just go to 60 and have had no problems.

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 05, 2002 - 04:33 PM

The manual says 125Nm (I'm not sure how many foot pounds that is?). I've been setting it to this with no trouble. I assume that if it's not torqued properly (not tight enough) that the axel may slide forward under stress and put a lot of stress on the chain adjuster bolts possibly stripping them. Just a guess, I don't have any proof to back this up. :)

• Norman

Posted January 06, 2002 - 03:47 PM

No, I never used anti-sieze, just tighten it.

Norman K.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.