'12+ WR450 : Which Oversized Tank?

10 replies to this topic
  • mebgardner

Posted February 10, 2014 - 10:42 AM

I saw the thread started recently for the fellow who owns the 09, and I am hoping to stand on the forum's shoulders again. 

So, '12+ WR450's.  I see an IMS 3.0 gal. tank, and that's about it.

Anyone know any other offerings? 

Clarke seems to not offer one (they stop at '11), and Acerbis does not either (2014 online catalog also stops at '11).

• funt

Posted February 10, 2014 - 11:04 AM

There's this one too http://justgastanks....roducts_id=3554

• mebgardner

Posted February 10, 2014 - 01:05 PM

OK, thanks. Really, I mean that.

Wow. 4.1 gal.  $475 plus shipping. Ugh.

How about a couple MSR bottles, at $15 each, in the backpack?  Missus says "No".  Bet I can change her mind at $500+.

• mebgardner

Posted February 12, 2014 - 10:06 AM

I have a response from Acerbis:

"Hello:
 Are you working on an aftermarket gas tank for this cycle?
 If yes, can you tell me the approximate release date? (I'm attemting to determine if I should wait until the release date for a purchase).
Thanks,"

"Bob, Unfortunately I have not heard any rumors of a tank for that machine.  Depending on how much extra capacity you are looking for, we do offer some auxiliary tanks that might work.  Please let me know if I can help you with anything else. Thanks,"

"I dont need alot of extra capacity.
I'm looking for something ~3.5 - 4 gal. size.
What you got in aux tanks?"

"We offer four.

A handlebar mounted: 0.6 gal

Front Number plate: -0.8 gal-1.3 gal

Rear mounted: 1.6 gal

Thanks"

Edited by mebgardner, February 12, 2014 - 10:09 AM.

• funt

Posted February 12, 2014 - 12:28 PM

I wonder how these would work with the fuel pump being in the main tank?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted February 12, 2014 - 12:39 PM

You don't want those Aux tanks, trust me.

How much fuel do you want to carry or what sort of range are you looking for?

I have the IMS 3.0 gal and I like it so far. I would have liked to get something closer to 3.5 gal, but this was all that I could find when I was in the market.

• mebgardner

Posted February 13, 2014 - 10:35 AM

You don't want those Aux tanks, trust me.

How much fuel do you want to carry or what sort of range are you looking for?

I have the IMS 3.0 gal and I like it so far. I would have liked to get something closer to 3.5 gal, but this was all that I could find when I was in the market.

Yeah, it's the only "replacement" tank available at this time.  Like you, I am looking for something just a little bigger than an extra 0.9 gal, for the whopper of a $275.00 tag.

Still, if you were to ask me, as I'm pushing it up over the next canyon, if I'm willing to spend that money now, I think I know what my answer would be... So, mebbe I have my answer within the current offerings.

Or maybe, I'll just carry a quart MSR bottle for awhile longer.

Edited by mebgardner, February 13, 2014 - 10:36 AM.

• GP1K

Posted February 14, 2014 - 08:46 AM

I have the IMS 3.0 gallon tank as well, and it works for me. Between that and fiddling with my FI map, I have plenty of range now.

I'm kinda surprised nobody has come up with 'maximum mileage' FI map by now. Seems like it would be a good thing for dual sport or desert riding etc. May not make the most power, but if you really need the range, I'd sure think it's possible.

• mebgardner

Posted February 14, 2014 - 11:25 AM

I have the IMS 3.0 gallon tank as well, and it works for me. Between that and fiddling with my FI map, I have plenty of range now.

I'm kinda surprised nobody has come up with 'maximum mileage' FI map by now. Seems like it would be a good thing for dual sport or desert riding etc. May not make the most power, but if you really need the range, I'd sure think it's possible.

I'm working it now... See the "maps Only" thread.

• mebgardner

Posted February 14, 2014 - 11:40 AM

I'm about to decide on the IMS tank upgrade.

Can you please tell me if you had to do anthing different than the enclosed instruction?

Got any installation advice that might help?

Did you install your IMS over a set of rad guards?  If yes, did you have any clearance problems / whose are they?  How about the rad / air scoop cowls? Did you reuse the stock plastic parts, or buy aftermarket air scoop cowls?

I have UnaBiker rad guards and OEM air scoop plastic cowls.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...

Any problems with gas overheating / bubbling, from engine or other heat source? ...and, did you re-use the OEM fuel pump-to-tank gaskets?

Edited by mebgardner, February 14, 2014 - 11:41 AM.

• GP1K

Posted February 14, 2014 - 03:08 PM

I'm about to decide on the IMS tank upgrade.

Can you please tell me if you had to do anthing different than the enclosed instruction?

Got any installation advice that might help?

Did you install your IMS over a set of rad guards?  If yes, did you have any clearance problems / whose are they?  How about the rad / air scoop cowls? Did you reuse the stock plastic parts, or buy aftermarket air scoop cowls?

I have UnaBiker rad guards and OEM air scoop plastic cowls.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...

Any problems with gas overheating / bubbling, from engine or other heat source? ...and, did you re-use the OEM fuel pump-to-tank gaskets?

I also have the Unabiker rad guards, but didn't put the OEM or any others scoops back on. I did have to trim my shrouds as per the instructions, but that does make the shrouds fit flush (as stock) so it's not any wider at the knees than stock. If you don't trim, they definitely stick out.

The other thing is the shroud bolt that's kind of in the middle of the shroud, about where the seat meets the tank. It's the one with the extended plastic washer thingy in the Unabiker kit. That bolt just won't reach or line up anymore. All the other bolts are in place, and it feels totally solid so I haven't lost any sleep over it.

No problems with gas overheating or bubbling so far. I'm in Washington state, it gets 80-90s here in the summer, so not  super hot like AZ where I see you're from. Basically the extra fuel is near the cap, there's a bulge there where the stocker is fairly flat, and the tank extends forward more in the shrouds several inches each side. So yes it extends over the rads more than stock, but it happens to be the outsides of the shrouds where air is going to be forced over it while moving.

I don't recall on the gaskets. I definitely didn't buy any new ones, so unless the kit came with new ones, I'm still running the stockers.

Edited by GP1K, February 14, 2014 - 03:10 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.