headlight bulb switch H6M to H4

14 replies to this topic
  • Kennoy

Posted February 09, 2014 - 08:33 PM

I have a 2008 WR450. Among the BIG list of mods I did, one was the stator mod and wanted a brighter light than the 35w bulb that comes stock on the bike. Didn't want to go HID. Selection of H6M bulbs other than 35W doesn't really exist at a normal price. So, I started looking at how to modify the housing to fit a bulb with more wattage options. I went with a 55w/60w H4 because it works best due to the diameter of the metal part of the bulb with the flange removed. Start by using some tin snips and cut a couple places. Then take some pliers and carefully bend and remove the flange. (It's only held on in a couple spots) It comes off quite easy. Then take the metal ring out of the headlight housing and file, dremel or in my case use a mini lathe and make the hole a little bigger just over 22mm so the H4 bulb slides in kinda snug. Now just switch the H6M connector on the wire harness and put a H4 connector and your done.

Low beam is perfect, High beam is ok

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 3.JPG
  • 4.JPG
  • 5.JPG
  • 6.JPG
  • 7.JPG
  • 8.JPG
  • 9.JPG

• Kennoy

Posted February 09, 2014 - 08:39 PM

BTW, the H6M bulb will still go back in if for whatever reason you want to switch back. 

• coreshot

Posted February 10, 2014 - 06:40 AM

Cool mod. Im curious if you are going to run into issues with the extra heat. If not, a nice simple mod.

• Kennoy

Posted February 11, 2014 - 06:05 AM

Cool mod. Im curious if you are going to run into issues with the extra heat. If not, a nice simple mod.

I does get a little warmer but not much. On my work bench, I hooked a power supply up with the stock 35w/35w bulb and let it sit for an hour..It was warm but not hot. Then installed the H4 55w/60w. It was only slightly warmer. I didn't want HID because I ride on the street as well and didn't want to blind people. When I ride Baja, sometimes I ride at night and wanted something brighter than 35w.

• stevethe

Posted February 11, 2014 - 06:36 AM

I put a H-4 into my stock housing on my WR 450 street bike. Over 10,000 miles no issues with heat damage.

• stevethe

Posted February 13, 2014 - 08:28 AM

I have a 2008 WR450. Among the BIG list of mods I did, one was the stator mod and wanted a brighter light than the 35w bulb that comes stock on the bike. Didn't want to go HID. Selection of H6M bulbs other than 35W doesn't really exist at a normal price. So, I started looking at how to modify the housing to fit a bulb with more wattage options. I went with a 55w/60w H4 because it works best due to the diameter of the metal part of the bulb with the flange removed. Start by using some tin snips and cut a couple places. Then take some pliers and carefully bend and remove the flange. (It's only held on in a couple spots) It comes off quite easy. Then take the metal ring out of the headlight housing and file, dremel or in my case use a mini lathe and make the hole a little bigger just over 22mm so the H4 bulb slides in kinda snug. Now just switch the H6M connector on the wire harness and put a H4 connector and your done.

Low beam is perfect, High beam is ok

By the way I like the way you did it by using the original bracket and removing the flange from the 55-60w bulb. I hacked mine a bit more to fit the bulb in the headlight housing.

Does anyone know if a 55-60w bulb would work well with a stock stator. Sometimes larger watt bulbs are dimmer if you don't have the power.

• scott525

Posted February 13, 2014 - 11:36 AM

I put an H4 in my 12',I wish it was brighter.

I use my for the street though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kennoy

Posted February 17, 2014 - 05:24 AM

By the way I like the way you did it by using the original bracket and removing the flange from the 55-60w bulb. I hacked mine a bit more to fit the bulb in the headlight housing.

Does anyone know if a 55-60w bulb would work well with a stock stator. Sometimes larger watt bulbs are dimmer if you don't have the power.

Not sure how the stock stator would do on a 55w bulb. My guess is that it won't be as bright. I did the stator mod as well as a TON of other mods and 55w bulb works perfect. Much brighter

• William1

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:28 AM

Stock stator does not have enough wattage to run a 55W bulb. You need to float the ground and run the light on DC

• Kennoy

Posted February 19, 2014 - 08:12 AM

I put an H4 in my 12',I wish it was brighter.

I use my for the street though.

I thought the 2012 came stock with an H4 35w/35w bulb??

• scott525

Posted February 19, 2014 - 04:40 PM

I thought the 2012 came stock with an H4 35w/35w bulb??

They do. I put a 55w in it and it still sucks. Well with my eyes its not bright enough. I even got the one that was "50% brighter than standard".

• vlxjim

Posted February 20, 2014 - 09:18 AM

Do any of you guys know the part numbers for the US stator and the non US stator. The non US bikes come with hi and low beam as well as turn signals. If the stators are the same we may have more unused power available.

• vlxjim

Posted February 20, 2014 - 09:42 AM

I was able to confirm that the US and non-US (EU) stator are the same part #. So I would think that there might be a little extra power  available to run a higher wattage bulb.

• scott525

Posted February 20, 2014 - 04:33 PM

I was able to confirm that the US and non-US (EU) stator are the same part #. So I would think that there might be a little extra power  available to run a higher wattage bulb.

Is there something more than the 55w? What else is everyone else running for the street. 

Turning hard sucks,I cant see 20 ft out.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted February 20, 2014 - 06:38 PM

A few years back I contacted Dale @ www.trickdualsport.com with the question, " How can I get more light from my dualsport kit.  He told me to get bulb # 6062 which is a 12 volt 60/60watt bulb. Works great. Of course, with the trickdualsport kit you don't have to float the ground or any of that monkey motion. Then again my bike is a 2003 wr 450 and the headlight bulb may be totally differant on the newer models.      I just checked the fit on my stock headlight vs the one in the trick kit, differant bulb. Looks like your bulb modification would need to be done to use the 60/60 watt bulb.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.