Mobil 1 ??

5 replies to this topic
  • Blue_Knight

Posted January 04, 2002 - 09:40 AM

Can anyone help ?
What's the feedback on running the 426 on Mobil 1 fully syntheyic ?
I'm getting different vibes. Mobil 1 is the only decent oil I can get my hands on out here in the Middle East. I know it doesn't make sense.
I am currently using 100% mineral but am seriously thinking about moving over to Mobil 1. How is my clutch going to fair.
Thanks for any assistance.

• flyinguitars

Posted January 04, 2002 - 11:12 AM

Ive been using mobile 1 15-50 since after break-in. I think Ive had good luck so far...havent had any engine damage or clutch problems that I know of...but I swear the bike jumped out of gear a few weeks ago, causing me to crash while attempting a small double but Im not sure if it was caused by a "bad" shift, or a rock hit my shifter, or if there is a problem with the trans. Could it be related to Mobil 1? I doubt it. Make sure your Mobile 1 doesnt have any friction modifiers in it. As far as I know, the 15-50 is the only automotive Mobile 1 that doesnt contain friction modifiers.
Mike

• Hokie

Posted January 04, 2002 - 11:37 AM

I used Mobil1 15-50 (Red cap in the US) in my '99 YZ400 for 2+ years and it never had a problem.

I am currently using it in my 01 426 and have not had any problems there either.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpologist

Posted January 04, 2002 - 07:35 PM

If you are using straight mineral oil, I suggest you stop. Mineral oil is used in aircraft engines initially to "lap in" the cylinders and piston rings. It allows for direct metal to metal contact during break in. I have used Mobil 1 for years with no problems.

• Blue_Knight

Posted January 05, 2002 - 09:26 AM

I'll crack on with an oil change as soon as...
Mobil 1 it is !!!

Thanks Guys for your time.

• Apjon

Posted January 05, 2002 - 01:53 PM

There was Mobil1 in my 426 -00 when I bought it and my clutch was very "grippy" but when I changed to a oil as specified in the handbook the clutch got much better

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.