Best Front Tire For So. Cal Desert Trails ?

3 replies to this topic
  • JokerWR

Posted February 07, 2014 - 05:15 PM

Where I ride it's Usually either Very Soft Sand or Hard Packed with Plenty of rocks. "usually in the same place even"

I have the stock front tire on my 08 wr450 and it doesn't seem to do so well on this terrain.

I have a Maxxis Desert IT on the rear that seams to do really well in it and holds up very well.

I was thinking about getting the same for the front but it seems like people either love it or hate it.

What are you guys running on your front and what are your thoughts on the Maxxis Desert IT ???

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 07, 2014 - 07:21 PM

Bridgestone M403 90/100: best over all tire I've ever used for all terrain, especially desert. Crank the steering damper down and ride through anything with confidence.

Don't like Maxxis front tires, any of them

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2014 - 10:00 PM

So far, the best tire I've used is the Bridgestone 203 in 90/100x21.  It's quite a bit better than the 403 in sand and coarse, sandy gravel, silt, etc.  I can much more often recover from the terminal front end push the '06 is prone to if not managed properly.  The 203 stands out against other "soft terrain" tires in that it works well on much harder soils than most of them will, which makes it more versatile.

It depends whether you ride more in the higher or lower deserts, to a degree.  The lower deserts have their rocky stuff and all, but they have a lot more of the softer, deeper sand/gravel/silt stuff the the higher deserts, which tend to have less sand and more rock, and more of something that looks like real dirt.  IMO, the 203 covers both well and does sand much better, while the 403 is better suited to the higher deserts and rocky dirt

I liked the MX51 on a groomed track, but it was unpredictable on blue groove clay, and disappointing in the soft stuff.  As to the Maxxis, I ran a lot of their rear tires to the bone back when.  The "big" tire back then was the Dunlop 756.  It worked good, but wore out if you so much as looked at it.  The Maxxis IT rear cost 15% less, had better straight line traction, and lasted 3 times as long.  But the IT front sucked, and now they are as expensive as premium tires most of the time.  The ST was better, but neither tire was very supple, and their desert tires are ridiculously heavy and hard. 

• JokerWR

Posted February 07, 2014 - 10:20 PM

So far, the best tire I've used is the Bridgestone 203 in 90/100x21.  It's quite a bit better than the 403 in sand and coarse, sandy gravel, silt, etc.  I can much more often recover from the terminal front end push the '06 is prone to if not managed properly.  The 203 stands out against other "soft terrain" tires in that it works well on much harder soils than most of them will, which makes it more versatile.

It depends whether you ride more in the higher or lower deserts, to a degree.  The lower deserts have their rocky stuff and all, but they have a lot more of the softer, deeper sand/gravel/silt stuff the the higher deserts, which tend to have less sand and more rock, and more of something that looks like real dirt.  IMO, the 203 covers both well and does sand much better, while the 403 is better suited to the higher deserts and rocky dirt

I liked the MX51 on a groomed track, but it was unpredictable on blue groove clay, and disappointing in the soft stuff.  As to the Maxxis, I ran a lot of their rear tires to the bone back when.  The "big" tire back then was the Dunlop 756.  It worked good, but wore out if you so much as looked at it.  The Maxxis IT rear cost 15% less, had better straight line traction, and lasted 3 times as long.  But the IT front sucked, and now they are as expensive as premium tires most of the time.  The ST was better, but neither tire was very supple, and their desert tires are ridiculously heavy and hard. 

I live in the High Desert ... I have trails 1/8th mile from my garage that go for miles in any direction ... I'm from the L.A. Beach area so I meet friends @ Gorman, Cal City, & Dove Springs a lot which are all High Desert as well. There is some very soft sand at all of the locations I ride. So sounds like they need to make a 303 ;)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.