Need Help...Have a rubbing noise in my front wheel!!

7 replies to this topic

Posted April 29, 2001 - 09:44 PM

I greased the front end twice, the last being friday. I ride for a LITTLE while and a rubbing noise is being made in my front end. It's coming from the area where the odometer housing and axle are. The only way I got it to stop for a little while is by coating the entire inside area of the odometer housing, side closest to the wheel, with oil. I pulled the wheel off and made sure all the areas that should be greased were and put grease on all the sides of any parts that were touching. 2 laps later the noise came back. Anyone else had or heard of this problem? Could it be a bad seal? Oh, the odometer cale is unhooked and I have a dust cap over the threads.

• MN_Kevin

Posted April 29, 2001 - 11:47 PM

The front wheel bearings on the WR of are VERY POOR QUALITY and UNSEALED. Mine were squeeking after 5 hrs of riding ('99). There have been several posts on this over the last couple of years.

Could be your problem...

'99 WZ with all YZ mods, de-octopused, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean and Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 30, 2001 - 05:26 AM

696, About a month ago I blew a fork seal (what a surprise) and my front wheel began to squeek until I cleaned the entire hub,axle and brake system. Have you blown a seal? It's possible that something got into your bearings like Kev said or maybe some fluid got in there, You can't go wrong with putting new bearings in anyway. Good luck

PS. Are you sure that your rotor is perfectly straight? Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by Dan Lorenze (edited 04-30-2001).]

• kenmoto1

Posted April 30, 2001 - 08:48 AM

All 2001 wrs do this! I have not taken my wheel off but once, but there must be a rubber o ring in there that gets dry and rubs.Im not going to worry about mine because i have 3 other friends with the same prob.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 30, 2001 - 12:59 PM

Remember, When the bike is new to greese,greese,greese!!!!!! And don't forget to do the preventive maintainance (pm's) religiously. I think thats the best medicine.
Dennis :)

Posted April 30, 2001 - 03:14 PM

Nope. I have not had a problem with my fork seals (knock on wood). It does sound like a rubber o-ring and I have greased the front end twice in less than a month. I lost on this one, I looked and looked and can't find the problem anywhere. :)

• bart9505

Posted May 07, 2001 - 01:33 PM

I had the same problem, and when I tore the bike down for the after-break-in greasing, I found the outer seal on the odometer housing was dry, and the outermost lip (there are 3) was partially folded over and quickly wearing away. I packed the housing with grease, and haven't heard a peep since.

• Freezer

Posted May 07, 2001 - 05:27 PM

Any of you also have problems with your wheel free-spinning? With a good tug, my wheel stops spinning in about four revolutions. Someting's rubbing. Thought it was my rotor/shoes--nope. So maybe it's this?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.