Question on the FI Competition ECU kit

9 replies to this topic
  • kerr63

Posted February 04, 2014 - 07:37 PM

I just picked up a leftover 2012 WR 450 and was a little confused about the competition ECU kit. Specifically, does it come preprogrammed to the YZ map or do you need to also purchase the programmer to use it?

Thanks

John

Edited by kerr63, February 04, 2014 - 09:51 PM.

• DRZ04

Posted February 04, 2014 - 09:13 PM

I was unknowledgable and just recently went through the Comp ECU kit with folks on here. You will get all your answers here. The Comp ECU allows you to program the FI & the IG. There are maps on Yamaha site, this site and many more. You need to have the Power Programmer to make any changes and to see what is actually currently loaded. This is the Yamaha site http://www.yamahamot...r_settings.aspx     This is the Transmoto site  http://transmoto.com...ha-wr450f-maps/  There are many more. There is one started on this site also.

• kerr63

Posted February 04, 2014 - 10:36 PM

Ok, so are you saying that If I don't have the programmer, the competition ECM offers no advantage to the stock ECM?.  I was hoping the competition ecm came with the YZ map installed (similar to the grey wire disconnect on my 07 250).

Edited by kerr63, February 04, 2014 - 10:37 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2014 - 04:37 PM

No, that's not the case.  The Comp ECU will start up and run as is.  The preloaded map will show up as all zeros when you first interface the programmer with it, as will all EFI YZ450F's of any year, and the '14 YZ250F.  Zeros are your starting point. 

The pre-loaded baseline map of the Comp ECU is not a "YZ" map per se, but it is programmed along those lines, with suitable adjustments made for the WR.  It's not the same as the "green" map the bike comes with, but the amount of tweaking and customization you can do to the bike with the programmer in just a few seconds is well worth buying the programmer for. 

There are also even more elegant tools available with which to modify the fuel and ignition curves, but more expensive still. 

One thing the GYT-R programmer won't do is adjust the fuel delivery at idle.  That requires an interface device that Yamaha techs have.  You can buy one, but they are quite expensive to get just for that purpose.  But once the idle is adjusted correctly, you wouldn't have too much need of the toll anyway.  Search this forum section for more on that.

• kerr63

Posted February 05, 2014 - 05:32 PM

Exactly what I needed to know , thank  you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kerr63

Posted February 06, 2014 - 09:54 AM

I just picked up my new 2012 450 last week, is the fuel at idle issue a  warranty repair item at the dealer?  Are they usually familiar with the issue?  or do i need to take it in and pay to have them fix it?

thanks

• ggamster

Posted February 06, 2014 - 10:10 AM

I just picked up my new 2012 450 last week, is the fuel at idle issue a warranty repair item at the dealer? Are they usually familiar with the issue? or do i need to take it in and pay to have them fix it?

thanks

It is free at most dealers. Yamaha recomends a setting of 7. It comes set to zero.

• mebgardner

Posted February 07, 2014 - 06:55 AM

It is free at most dealers. Yamaha recomends a setting of 7. It comes set to zero.

I did not know this recommended setting of 7, before this. I wondered if there was a recommended setting.

• ggamster

Posted February 07, 2014 - 06:59 AM

I did not know this recommended setting of 7, before this. I wondered if there was a recommended setting.

That is straight from the Yamaha dealer technical support.  I was glad to get that info from them directly.

• mebgardner

Posted February 07, 2014 - 06:59 AM

I just picked up my new 2012 450 last week, is the fuel at idle issue a  warranty repair item at the dealer?  Are they usually familiar with the issue?  or do i need to take it in and pay to have them fix it?

thanks

A dealer on a new cycle will usually honor the warranty request for this adjustment.

No, they are usually not familiar with the isse, and they likely have no one who is knowledgable about how to do it.

They also may not have the Diagnostic dongle or, if thay have that, may not have the adaptor wiring connectors for this specific cycle.

Once they have that lined up, then they need to install the Diagnostic SW onto their shop floor PC.

If you're their first "programmable" cycle customer, epect this learning curve on their part. You'll need lots of patience and time (for them to solve their issues).

Ask me how I know...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.