Bushing Location for Starter Clutch Upgrade?

7 replies to this topic
  • mrgem

Posted February 04, 2014 - 06:52 PM

At one  time, there was an online tutorial on how to upgrade 2003 WR450 starter clutches to the 2004+ version -- but it no longer exists, I am told. 

I have the parts and will be doing this upgrade to my 450, but need to understand exactly where to place the additional bushing needed in order to make the 2004+ starter clutch fit in the 2003 side cover/housing. 

Could someone give me the details and possibly a photo? I've studied the shop manual and it is not apparent there.

Thanks.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted February 04, 2014 - 07:49 PM

The bushing goes in the side cover after you remove the 2003 idler gear.   Goes in the hole

that the idler gear shaft was in.

Just tap it in.  

The small cover for the new damper that replaces the idler gear is already the correct size if you

got the 2004-up version.    The 2003 cover will not fit anyway because the damper is larger

than the idler gear.

• mrgem

Posted February 05, 2014 - 07:13 AM

The bushing goes in the side cover after you remove the 2003 idler gear.   Goes in the hole

that the idler gear shaft was in.

Just tap it in.  

The small cover for the new damper that replaces the idler gear is already the correct size if you

got the 2004-up version.    The 2003 cover will not fit anyway because the damper is larger

than the idler gear.

Thanks. Just to be clear, there are two "covers" involved. There is the little "Domed" cover(2004 style) that replaces the flat original (2003) cover, and there is the larger side case cover, that basically houses ALL the external (to the engine case) mechanicals on that side of the motor. Are we talking about the smaller "domed" cover?" I look at the new cover and it appears to already have a bushing pressed into the little cast-in boss in the backside of the cover.

Sorry for being so repetitious - but I don't want to assume anything.

• miweber929

Posted February 05, 2014 - 07:55 AM

Thanks. Just to be clear, there are two "covers" involved. There is the little "Domed" cover(2004 style) that replaces the flat original (2003) cover, and there is the larger side case cover, that basically houses ALL the external (to the engine case) mechanicals on that side of the motor. Are we talking about the smaller "domed" cover?" I look at the new cover and it appears to already have a bushing pressed into the little cast-in boss in the backside of the cover.

Sorry for being so repetitious - but I don't want to assume anything.

You are correct, it is the small domed cover and has the correct bushing in it already.

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mrgem

Posted February 05, 2014 - 08:11 AM

You are correct, it is the small domed cover and has the correct bushing in it already.

Mike

Mike -- Once again, you've come through!!! Thanks. 

Is this a "running change" made to the cover? I bought the cover (5TJ-1549B -00-00 "Cover Ass'y 2"), using the part number given to me by several folks -- but no one mentioned that the cover already had the bushing installed. It also wasn't clear from the various posts on the fix that the new cover included the O-ring. So I also bought the bushing (90380-10002-00 "Bushing, Solid"), as instructed and when I looked at the part -- there appeared to be a bushing already installed. That is why I was confused.  

Thanks again. And thanks to all for their forebearance with my questions. I know they must seem too elementary.

Thanks again for the clarification

• miweber929

Posted February 05, 2014 - 08:39 AM

Is this a "running change" made to the cover? I bought the cover (5TJ-1549B -00-00 "Cover Ass'y 2"), using the part number given to me by several folks -- but no one mentioned that the cover already had the bushing installed. It also wasn't clear from the various posts on the fix that the new cover included the O-ring. So I also bought the bushing (90380-10002-00 "Bushing, Solid"), as instructed and when I looked at the part -- there appeared to be a bushing already installed. That is why I was confused.  

Thanks again. And thanks to all for their forebearance with my questions. I know they must seem too elementary.

Not sure what the deal was, but I think you are right that it was something in some of them and not others. After I bought my "04 I did some research as I wasn't 100% sure the PO told me the right year (I had just gone through an issue on a project RM125 that was sold to me as a '96 when it actually was a '92 so I was pretty cautious) and took apart the starter to be sure it was all updated and noticed the same thing you had: the bushing was part of the cover. Couldn't figure out what people were talking about with bying it. 

Part of the deal with the online thing is there is almost too much information floating around and very few "final" threads. That's what the pinned ones are for but they get ut of date fairly quick. This issue does need a final thread, though.

Once you do the upgrade, you'll be quite happy with your '03, I know I love my '04. At some point it'll be replaced with a '12+, but I just can't justify replacing something that works so well as is when the replacement has some pluses but the small tank and poor MPG seem a huge issue. I loved my old '98 Honda Superhawk except for the small tank and poor mpg and got rid of it for those reasons alone, I'd hate to do the same thing with the offroad mount and 60 miles per tan is annoying

Mike-

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted February 05, 2014 - 08:50 AM

No, not a running change.   The "domed cover"   5TJ-1549B -00  for the 2004 model already has the bushing installed so it

can accommodate the 2004 damper which has a smaller shaft than the 2003 idler gear.     The bushing you purchased goes

in the engine "side cover" to reduce the size of the 2003 idler gear hole down to the size of the 2004 damper shaft.

I explained this in the other thread where I gave you the part numbers, but perhaps more detail was needed...

• miweber929

Posted February 05, 2014 - 06:37 PM

No, not a running change.   The "domed cover"   5TJ-1549B -00  for the 2004 model already has the bushing installed so it
can accommodate the 2004 damper which has a smaller shaft than the 2003 idler gear.     The bushing you purchased goes
in the engine "side cover" to reduce the size of the 2003 idler gear hole down to the size of the 2004 damper shaft.

I explained this in the other thread where I gave you the part numbers, but perhaps more detail was needed...

Shoot, you're right; mrgem I stand corrected. Forgot about the one in the engine case, sorry it's been a while since I've popped off the gears. I remember looking at the cover and thinking what you did but forgot the spacer in the case......

Grrrr, hope I didn't screw you up too bad.

Mike

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.