Chain adjuster bolt?

5 replies to this topic
  • haydug

Posted February 04, 2014 - 02:42 PM

I have a 2014 yz 450. The brake side chain adjuster bolt refuses to stay tight. I don't want to add blue loctight, but I'm at my wits end. Anyone have a cure?

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2014 - 02:54 PM

The correct way to keep the adjusters tight is to first get the chain tension set, the align the wheel, then tighten the adjuster lock nuts while the axle is loose, THEN tighten the axle last.

There is clearance in the bolt threads. If you tighten the axle first, then run the bolts hard against that, you push the front of the bolt threads against the back face of the threads in the swing arm. When you then tighten the jam nuts, that pulls the adjuster bolts rearward, relieving the tension that holds them from loosening.

• haydug

Posted February 05, 2014 - 03:09 PM

I guess I do it correctly then. I set my slack, take my 10mm wrench and put between the chain and sprocket to "pull" tension against the adjusters, then tighten the axle. Then snug the 10mm bolt against the axle blocks(normally they are snug) and hold while tightening the 12mm locknut. I've done it this way for years with no issues.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2014 - 03:42 PM

I guess I do it correctly then. I set my slack, take my 10mm wrench and put between the chain and sprocket to "pull" tension against the adjusters, then tighten the axle. Then snug the 10mm bolt against the axle blocks(normally they are snug) and hold while tightening the 12mm locknut. I've done it this way for years with no issues.

That's the wrong way.  The lock nuts should be tightened BEFORE the axle is tightened.

• haydug

Posted February 05, 2014 - 03:52 PM

I will try that tomorrow evening sir. Thanks once again for helping another yz owner out.

• MotoAce51

Posted February 07, 2014 - 09:23 PM

Always have this problem. I need to try this "correct" method. Great question.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.