cracked frame yz450 -12

3 replies to this topic
  • svemo

Posted February 04, 2014 - 05:31 AM

discovered this , as I was to install my newly rebuilded engine,  any comment?

I bought bike last year from a prorider, maybe crack was already there then??

I find no other cracks on frame.

Will talk to welder about this.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1899.JPG
  • IMG_1898.JPG
  • IMG_1897.JPG
  • IMG_1896.JPG

• Yammer-Hammer

Posted February 04, 2014 - 07:21 AM

Im no expert, and i dont claim to be buy i personally wouldnt race it like that. That is a stress crack and could fail any moment. You can have it welded but the frames on those bikes are heat treated to i believe T6 Temper and welding it will affect the heat treating in the area of the weld so you will have to find some place that specializes in heat treating aluminum. If you dont heat treat it after welding it will just crack again. Just my $.02

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2014 - 07:37 AM

The frames are quite repairable by welding without any undue or abnormal concern over heat treating.  It's not a problem when the weld is done correctly. 

• swaldrop

Posted February 04, 2014 - 07:46 AM

My '11 cracked as well. I had it welded but it eventually failed again. Check out the thread here: http://www.thumperta...+frame +cracked

You can find replacement frames on Ebay for as little as $500, but who know what kind of abuse they have endured.

Good luck with the fix.

Edited by swaldrop, February 04, 2014 - 07:47 AM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.