Beta rr 300 racing or standard 300

13 replies to this topic
  • Burtonbmc

Posted February 03, 2014 - 02:34 PM

Hi

First time post as just listed my Ktm for sale as decided to buy either a Racing 300 or just the standard RR model.

Has anyone had the benefit of riding both models - my concern with the racing model is the supposed mods carried out to cylinder to give more torque. I've read loads of useful threads on how great the standard 300 is. I like idea of better forks on the racing model alas concerned the engine is too much ....

Thanks if anyone can help out.

• randysoo

Posted February 03, 2014 - 05:35 PM

I test rode my dealers standard 300 and bought the 300 race. For me it was no brainer. the 48 zokes alone are 2 grand and the wider billet footpegs are nice. The axle pulls and billet bling don't mean much to me. It was all about the forks, the rest was just gravy

• loladoka

Posted February 03, 2014 - 05:47 PM

I test rode my dealers standard 300 and bought the 300 race. For me it was no brainer. the 48 zokes alone are 2 grand and the wider billet footpegs are nice. The axle pulls and billet bling don't mean much to me. It was all about the forks, the rest was just gravy

I never got to ride one, just read every review i could find and the only negative thing i could find was that the 13 forks were too soft. (something which could be valved tho)  For me, the 48 zokes were worth the extra coin and yeah the 300 IS a lot of bike but so much fun

• mslow

Posted February 04, 2014 - 05:24 AM

I was torn as well and ended up with a standard. Either way I would need to respring the forks for my weight and considering I'm a C rider, maybe B on a good day, I didn't think I would get the most out of the forks. I ended up using the money for a rekluse instead.
I definitely do not regret my decision. If I get to where I'm out riding the forks, I'll have them revalved.

Regardless, this bike does not dissapoint, and I came from a very well sorted WR450. The bike is just a blast to ride.

• Burtonbmc

Posted February 04, 2014 - 12:48 PM

Many thanks for your very helpful comments.

Randysoo - did you notice any difference in the engine deliver/power between the RR and Race model ?

• randysoo

Posted February 04, 2014 - 01:45 PM

Randysoo - did you notice any difference in the engine deliver/power between the RR and Race model ?

It's hard for me to tell because I have not sorted out the jetting. But so far, it seems to have a little more bottom end. Compared to my ktm 300xc it feels like it has more flywheel and bottom end.

• Ud_Luz

Posted February 04, 2014 - 02:04 PM

I went with the standard too because of the forks. Literally a WP copy and very easy to set up for any type of riding.

I've heard mention the coatings on the Zokes wear poorly. I do not have personal experience with this one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • randysoo

Posted February 04, 2014 - 07:41 PM

I've heard mention the coatings on the Zokes wear poorly. I do not have personal experience with this one.

I've only heard that from 1 person. But I have heard from multiple reliable suspension tuners that the sachs quality control is poor. That, and I wanted CC forks. have yet to play with the PFP but have heard it is pretty cool.

• highmarker

Posted February 04, 2014 - 07:45 PM

anyone try the 250? 

• T140Read

Posted February 04, 2014 - 09:17 PM

Rode a 2014 250 Racing last Friday.  It was awesome.  I only rode around a small practice track behind the dealer's shop and through the parking lot, but I loved it.  Don't think if I was to order one that I would get the Racing since I don't think I'd really need it though.

• Ud_Luz

Posted February 04, 2014 - 09:30 PM

I've only heard that from 1 person. But I have heard from multiple reliable suspension tuners that the sachs quality control is poor. That, and I wanted CC forks. have yet to play with the PFP but have heard it is pretty cool.

I really don't know. The sole Sachs anything I have experience with is the shock on an 07 GG300. I took it apart after three seasons and everything looked perfect. That of course has nothing to do with their forks though.

• Neomxdave

Posted February 05, 2014 - 01:58 AM

Tbh the sachs setup on the 14's is not that bad. I really disliked the 13 sachs way to soft but IMO you can't compare the 13 vs 14 setup its like chalk and cheese's, I find the 14 feels firmer than a exc/xcw.

• GP

Posted February 05, 2014 - 07:29 AM

I had the Zoke 48s with the worn anodizing after 30hrs. After looking at everything closely it was likely due to a bushing that was distorted on assembly at the factory, The inner wall looked like cylinder that suffered a seizure with a large bare spot in the center. The coating is nothing more than the same red in the outside, nothing special and thin. I like the forks action, and know it well on the bench, so I had the uppers recoated in T3 hardcoat. I buffed the inner surfaces to mirror finish first. It was again finished after coating. Looks like black chrome inside now. Believe me I would not have done all this if there was not a legit problem. FWIW, I know a tuner who has seen three sets like mine since they were introduced on the '11 GG Race models. Not a large %, but it happens. For a lot of guy who do not do there own work its easy to say all is well. This is common on 45 mm Marzocchis. I think it would be a good idea to strip a new set of 48s for a detailed inspection and reassembly. Sachs shock is fine, its the newer alloy body Sachs. Good shape at first service. The new Sachs forks are like a WP. It's very good suspension right off the floor, not a lot big changes needed even for technical riding. What I'm curious about is what they did to the porting on the '14 300RR Race, as the '13 is as close to perfect as a 300 gets IMO.

• Beta Steve

Posted February 07, 2014 - 08:36 PM

photo-150149.jpg?_r=0
6,496 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

anyone try the 250? 

"Adding horsepower makes you faster on the straights, Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere else."

Bill you know Frank will let you ride his any time, and if you got my text, will offer it to you for a pretty good price too...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Spoiler alert! 2015 Betas are here! by ballisticexchris

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  234 replies
Forums
Photo

New 300 rr in my future? by squirrel 830

• 13 replies
Reviews

Beta 500 RS 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Beta 500 RS 2015
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Beta 2015 500 RS has arrived by Johnny Depp

• Hot  70 replies
Reviews

Beta 498 RR 2015 by Chris.GVS

Beta 498 RR 2015
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.