'12+ WR450 FI Diagnostics Tool P/N and Connections Info Here

32 replies to this topic
  • mebgardner

Posted February 23, 2014 - 03:14 PM

What does a dealer generally charge for this?  I have a small dealer across from my work and might run across the street to chat with them to see if they could bump it to 7 or 8.  BTW so I don't sound like a dummy, is CO mean Carbon Monoxide?

Yes.

• GP1K

Posted February 24, 2014 - 10:27 AM

What does a dealer generally charge for this?  I have a small dealer across from my work and might run across the street to chat with them to see if they could bump it to 7 or 8.  BTW so I don't sound like a dummy, is CO mean Carbon Monoxide?

Well my dealer just charges standard shop rate, which is $108/hr around here, with an hour minimum. Had I known about this when I bought the bike I probably could have got them to do it for free. YMMV.

• nytraxr

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:34 AM

If anyone would like to use the FI tool listed above or just purchase from me send me a message. I can confirm it worked, not just on my bike, but others. That's part of my quote in the first post and that ebay link is the tool. I made a connector so it plugs right into the bike. I don't mind helping fellow WR riders out, just let me know.

I've received a couple of inquiries about the tool, but I sold it to someone on here. I can't edit my original post so this is all I can do.

Hope it worked out!

• YamahaWR450forlife

Posted March 11, 2014 - 05:24 PM

I too was able to adjust my CO thanks to all who shared this valuable information.

I was fortunate to find/purchase a Yamaha FI tool from a dealer liquidation sale. Brand new, never used.

I then found the correct connector to plug into the YZ ECU I installed on my 2013 WR 450. The connector I purchased came with terminals to crimp/install however I used a pick and released the tabs on the harness that came with the Yamaha FI tool and inserted the terminals into my new connector.

The harness that came with the Yamaha FI tool was equipped with a round connector and three wires (black, red and green). I used my GYTR tuner to correctly orient the three wires in their correct location on the new connector. Wall ah. A factory looking harness to connect the Yamaha FI tool to my bike. Power and ground supplied right to the tool. This works great as you don't have to use the alligator clamps for battery voltage to power up the tool. And no tacky jumper wires.

As was mentioned prior the key to getting to the proper screen to adjust CO is to hold down the center button on the tool, then power up the bike (not start, just turn on the power via the on/off switch). Adjusted my CO to 8. Will start there and adjust up/down after I sniff the exhaust with my CO reader.

Long post I know but this is great info to adjust the air/fuel ratio on these bikes at idle.

• Snowfish67

Posted December 03, 2014 - 04:20 PM

Does the yamaha FI diagnostic tool give you the abilty to read hours and change the ignition/ fuel maps too? If it does, I'll get one sent from India right now...

• mebgardner

Posted December 04, 2014 - 11:58 AM

Does the yamaha FI diagnostic tool give you the abilty to read hours and change the ignition/ fuel maps too? If it does, I'll get one sent from India right now...

No, it does not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dave WR450

Posted December 07, 2014 - 09:33 AM

Some TT members mentioned they would sell or loan out their diagnostic tool after they used it. I was wondering if this offer still stands with anyone, I could sure use it, Thanks.

• Nuklhed

Posted December 08, 2014 - 07:17 PM

Anyone have one to loan?  I'd love to get rid of the '3 bumps to start' issue.

• Nuklhed

Posted December 11, 2014 - 08:29 PM

My dealer in central washington said he'd do it with the diagnostic tool for a :30 minute shop cost.  ~$42.

• Juman5

Posted December 21, 2014 - 10:35 AM

I'd rent you mine, but I'm up in Vancouver, BC, so the shipping cost would probably make it more worthwhile for you to go to your dealer.  Now if you were riding in BC for some reason, I could meet you and we could take care of it in 5 minutes... 

• Dave WR450

Posted January 01, 2015 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the offer Juman5,

I went to my local shop where I bought the bike, asked them if they knew anything about this hard start fix and they did not. I then asked if they would adjust my bike and they said “sorry no, your bike is a California Green Sticker Bike” and that would be illegal for them to change any mixture settings even in my GYTR race computer. The owner really is a nice guy and said if I loan you our shop tool (for free!) you can do whatever you want, just bring it back. That is exactly what happened and now my bike starts much better. I should also note, I have a great relationship with my local shop… and I bought a Honda ATV the same day I bought my WR450 (that also may have helped my cause)

I would like to thank everyone that helped out with this problem, it has really been my only gripe with the bike.  Ride On friends!!!

Edited by Dave WR450, January 01, 2015 - 10:29 AM.

• two240s

Posted February 06, 2016 - 12:35 PM

I couldn't get my local dealer to help either so I bought the FI tool myself

Sold my WR450 and still have the FI diagnostic tool if anyone would like to purchase it. Already has the jumper wire to connect to ecu. Only used once to adjust my bike before I sold it

Comes with a bunch of other harnesses that I have no idea what they're for...lol

$140 shipped 

email me at two240s@gmail.com

IMG_20160205_173754803_zpsikukhwcs.jpg

• Mlc450f

Posted May 14, 2016 - 02:34 PM

Thank you all for the informative, detailed posts. Any update which CO setting people have settled on.
I've just followed the directions, successfully made the change to 8 but maybe 7 is better? Not sure what difference this setting makes, guidance would be appreciated.
I have a pwfc installed, and I'm not sure if any settings would/will conflict?
Thank you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.