'03 wr450 starter problems

6 replies to this topic
  • motormike1

Posted February 02, 2014 - 09:59 PM

I know this has probably been  covered somewhere in the forum but I can't seem to find it.  I have an '03 wr450 and an '03 wr250 that neither starter is working just a click on the 450 and nothing on the 250.  I've tried jumping with a car battery but no luck.  Does anyone have a line on starters that are cheaper than OEM?  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

• flyandride

Posted February 02, 2014 - 10:09 PM

It may be something other than the starter.  The relay is under the seat, locate it and short the two big terminals on it and see if the starter works.  Could be the relay on the 450 if you're just getting a click.  On the 250 you say you're getting nothing, could be the clutch lever switch or neutral switch.  

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 03, 2014 - 06:37 AM

FUSE UNDER TANK

CORRODED GROUND LINES

BATTERY WITH BAD CELL

Try jumping directly to the starter terminals, not to the battery, to check the starter

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motormike1

Posted February 03, 2014 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for the help, I'll dive in this weekend.

• bobpara

Posted February 04, 2014 - 11:02 AM

I have an 06 WR 450 and I had the strangest thing happen

I thought my starter or something was fried

Turns out it stopped right at TDC and didn't have enough oomph to turn it over

From the guys on this site they said it was a common problem

Maybe yours too

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted February 04, 2014 - 11:47 AM

I have an 06 WR 450 and I had the strangest thing happen

I thought my starter or something was fried

Turns out it stopped right at TDC and didn't have enough oomph to turn it over

From the guys on this site they said it was a common problem

Maybe yours too

It is common...

when this happens you just bump it with the kickstarter to get the engine turning again

and the electric starter usually is able to do the job again

• JVP

Posted February 05, 2014 - 11:09 AM

Replace the relay under the seat.  I had the same problem and found it cured that problem. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.