Which oversize tank?

5 replies to this topic
  • flyandride

Posted February 02, 2014 - 05:03 PM

I have an 09 WR450F and am looking for an oversize tank, 3 to 3.3 gallon.  I've looked at Clark, Acerbis and IMS and am looking for feedback on what I should use or avoid.  I have an FMF megabomb header and from the pictures it looks like some of the tanks may touch it.  

I don't like the look of natural, black or blue are OK and the radiator shrouds have to fit.  And do they use the stock cap or their own?   

• DRZ04

Posted February 02, 2014 - 09:14 PM

I cannot attest for the use on an 09 WR450 but I have purchased and used at least 4 IMS tanks. I have had zero fitment or reliability issues with them. I also know people who have bought Clark tanks and no problems with them either. I cannot speak to the Acerbis.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 03, 2014 - 06:49 AM

IMS looks the best, has the lowest 'ball hump', and are plentiful used and new.

You have to change to YZ shrouds if you want a perfect cosmetic fit, or modify you stock shrouds.

IMG_0726_zps03efdfb0.jpgIMG_0724_zpsc0bf5bf3.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyandride

Posted February 03, 2014 - 08:04 AM

IMS looks the best, has the lowest 'ball hump', and are plentiful used and new.

You have to change to YZ shrouds if you want a perfect cosmetic fit, or modify you stock shrouds.

IMG_0726_zps03efdfb0.jpgIMG_0724_zpsc0bf5bf3.jpg

What capacity is that one?  Can you post a pic of the right side?  I need to know if it will clear the megabomb header.  

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 03, 2014 - 09:03 AM

3.2 gal.

This tank will not come close to any header.

IMG_0719_zps5fd0597d.jpg

• ADVRider808

Posted February 07, 2014 - 10:05 AM

I have the Acerbis 3.1 (or was it 3.3?).  One nice thing about this tank is that it connects to radiator where the lower shrouds normally do.  The tank is very solid and acts as a radiator brace.  I never bent a radiator while I had my tank on, but when I went back to stock and added the EE rad braces I bent a radiator on the second ride.  The Acerbis keeps nearly the same width at the knees.  Also, no problems with the bomb header.

- Ken

Edited by ADVRider808, February 07, 2014 - 10:07 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.