First time out on the 650.

7 replies to this topic
  • big t

Posted January 08, 2004 - 11:43 PM

Finally got to ride the 650 in the woods. It was a little muddy and the bike kicked my a$$. The stock front tire sucks in the mud. Flooded the bike a couple of times and had to kick the hell out of it. All in all it was fun but definitely a learning experience. :)

Posted January 09, 2004 - 12:57 AM

Congrats on the XR ride Big T. I ride a MS12 up front in MD, about the same riding conditions. Hooks up real nice. Replace the stock front ASAP, it will hurt you, trust me. Also, there are 2 ways of re-starting the Pig after a tip over: 1)Hold throttle wide open, set piston at top-dead-center(compression stroke) and kick(works for some not me). 2)Hold throttle wide open, pull in de-comp lever, kick 6-8 times, set kick starter to compression stroke and kick(throttle wide open).
You can also replace the carb with a pumper type like Eldebrock QuickSilver from Barnums Pro Products. After a year with the stock carb and falling over a lot I just got mine in the mail tonight. Can't wait to use it.
Enjoy a fun all-around bike.

• big t

Posted January 09, 2004 - 03:33 AM

Yeah, I think the carb is going to be my next big $ purchase. I'll probably order a tire this week. I think I am going to go with the s12.

• TimBrp

Posted January 09, 2004 - 04:59 AM

This bike will eat up that s12. I like the Dunlop 756 for the front. It wears well and yeah it's a flexible tire so on the hard stuff it'll feel a little off. The 756 rear is nice too, but wears fast. I'm running a Pirelli Mt-16 in the rear now with HD tubes and couldn't be happier.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stonewall

Posted January 09, 2004 - 07:48 AM

Pull off the stock tires and use them to burn a brush pile or something. They might work somewhere but I've never ridden there yet. Try a Pirelli MT44 front and a MT16 rear.
It will feel like an entirely different bike with this combo. IMHO the stock tires will get you hurt in the mud.

• Dutch

Posted January 09, 2004 - 07:18 PM

I've had good luck with the S12. That tire has a lot of fans here in Michigan.
One of the most impressive things is how long it last.
By the way - it's 19 below zero at my house. :)

• superslyko

Posted January 09, 2004 - 11:11 PM

Gentlemen,

Take it from someone who knows! :D Take that stock front tire off ASAP! It's a piece of [@#$%&!] in the mud! :D I'm still healing! :D

I've heard alot of good things about the S12 and M12. It's my next purchase. :)

• big t

Posted January 10, 2004 - 02:59 AM

I have had the 756 on my 400 so I will probably go with it or the s12. I'll check on the Pirelli's but price will determine what I get. Can't wait to get it out and take another beating. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.