Glowing header

12 replies to this topic
  • bradgross71

Posted February 01, 2014 - 03:00 PM

Does anybody else think its possible the reason for glowing header is too rich insted of lean?

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

• flyandride

Posted February 01, 2014 - 05:57 PM

Leaner is hotter and will cause the header to glow.  Aftermarket pipes are worse about it.  I've only seen em glow with a bike sitting there idling for a few minutes.  

Maybe glowing because it's begging you to ride it.  

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 01, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Does anybody else think its possible the reason for glowing header is too rich insted of lean?

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

No.

• bradgross71

Posted February 02, 2014 - 04:14 AM

Has anybody looked at the plug when this happens? What does the plug say?

• jap338kx

Posted February 02, 2014 - 05:57 AM

Is it just glowing at night??

This is the nature of the beast..

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 02, 2014 - 07:02 AM

Has anybody looked at the plug when this happens? What does the plug say?

You can't read four stroke plugs like two stroke plugs, and since 1989 the addition of hundreds of fuel additives makes reading a plug nearly impossible.

That is why Fuel/Air ratio are read with a tailpipe sensor.

You seem to be confused about what adding more fuel to the mixture does.....cause it cools it down. 

The fuel ignites the oxygen, not the other way around.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bradgross71

Posted February 02, 2014 - 01:49 PM

Unless un burnt gas is making it to header. That's my thought.

• JVP

Posted February 05, 2014 - 11:13 AM

All Four Strokes glow.  Glowing is good. Just don't touch it.

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2014 - 12:50 PM

The fuel ignites the oxygen, not the other way around.

That's not actually how combustion works.  Neither one ignites anything.  Heat or flame does that.

Nevertheless, the header will normally glow a dull red, visible in twilight or deep shade, after 30-60 full seconds at idle.  That's about 850 ℉.  Glowing significantly brighter, or within 15 seconds may mean a significantly lean condition, and/or a too fast idle speed, or a possible ignition timing problem (CDI, not likely). 

The normal glowing condition with a normal idle mixture is the result of a combination of the relatively fast idle speed, aggressive cam timing, and retarded ignition at idle speeds.

• 72degrees

Posted February 06, 2014 - 07:34 AM

I haven't noticed any glowing on the tuned 04 450F but it is inclined to get a bit hot and bothered in the coolant department. When speed hill climbing it can end up being kept waiting on the start line for quite a while having already been running for a few minutes in the queue for the line. If it was a bit easier to start when hot or a button start I would cut the engine whilst the delay was dealt with (to be fair if the previous rider has come off or failed so that the course isn't going to be cleared quickly they tell you to cut the engine anyway).

The pipe is very, very close to the bottom of the right hand radiator, well at least with the special titanium pipe it wears) so it's no wonder things get pretty hot pretty quick. I've taken to running the coolant level in the radiator a tad lower than what I think is probably usual but enough to cover the top of the core. Plus I've rigged up a catch tank (cunningly designed to be emptied quickly with a syringe and tube) for the overflow, as it still occasionally ends up puking coolant on a hot day and the don't like a coolant damped start line or first bend. Given that it rarely gets to run for more than 3/4s of a mile (we don't do 2.5 or 5 Km hills in the UK anymore) or 90 seconds or so at the very most on one run I guess I'm unlikely to boil it enough to be an issue.

• beezer

Posted February 06, 2014 - 08:29 AM

Ah yes another glowing headpipe thread.

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2014 - 09:24 AM

Ah yes another glowing headpipe thread.

If you search this topic and filter the results to 2002 or before, you should get several hits.  :smirk:

I suppose it's time to dust this one off:

"Mine does that all the time"

rocket-cart_sm.jpg

• beezer

Posted February 06, 2014 - 12:16 PM

A fitting ending to the eternal Thumper Talk thread.

I'd like to see that thing run at night.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.