Puzzled

14 replies to this topic
  • crazychimpjimbo

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:34 AM

At the moment Im looking at buying either a 2003 WR250F or a 1998 WR400. Puzzled in which direction to go!

For me im not bothered about kick start vs electric im more interested in mods to bling it up. I was looking at parts like a FMF headers, it appears there is no Megabomb available for a WR400, is there a reason?

Anyway its hard to find answers so had a better Idea come to you guys who will have the best knowledge and answers and may be able to point me in the right direction!

What would you recommend? 

• Cmartin

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:52 AM

I'm extremely satisfied with my 06 wr250f. Coming off a ktm380 2smoker I was concerned with the power issue going smaller HP. I've done all the mods grey wire, o-ring, re-jet, FMF PQ4 ,also took all the lights off and gone to YZ plate and rear fender to loose some weight. I'm about 170 lbs and this bike has plenty of pull on the track and trails.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:28 AM

The '03 is a much better bike in all respects, accept power deliver.  That can be remedied easily.

The power on the old 400 is more robust.

Unfortunately, the carb, suspension, electrics, etc are not as good as the '03.

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, January 30, 2014 - 09:29 AM.

• Brayden450

Posted January 30, 2014 - 03:28 PM

I have an 03 wr that has been modified very nicely and all free mods as well. If you would like more information PM me. I love the 03, and although you may be more concerned with "modding" it, the electric start is DEFINATLY a plus and selling point in my eyes. It's worth it's weight in gold to me. I can't comment on suspension as the day I got it I sent it to my local race tech dealer. But all in all I would get the 03 forsure

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2014 - 03:38 PM

Stay focused here.  He's comparing a '98 WR400 to an '03 WR250f, not to a WR450.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 30, 2014 - 04:15 PM

Doh!

I'd still get the '03.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:12 PM

I have an 00 400- believe its mostly the same to the 98-  I have been racing and riding it since 2000, - raced it last 2 years against modern 450's and yes I get pulled in the straights but its got good power and plenty competitive.  .  I would go 400 all day over a 250.  But that depends out how used up each bike IS or ISNT.

I would be concerened about valves, rings, piston, crank, bearings, gears-  things that could cost $$ to fix.

However if properly maintain these bikes can run and run.  I put in a 3rd and 4th gear due to failure in 03-my fault racing it hard for 3 years, rings in 05- freshen up.  09 piston and rings + valve adjustment and cam chain- just to freshen up top end, bore still in spec. Change oil very very frequently and clean filters.  Bike is still very strong.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tanis

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:06 PM

I would buy a newer wr250 with the updated frame than spend money on bling for a old bike that will never be as good

• ftl900

Posted January 31, 2014 - 08:05 AM

What everyone is missing here is how you intend to use the bike.   If it's tight trails and local stuff, I'd go with the 250.   If you were here in the desert like I am, where it's wide open for 2 or 3 states in every direction, then the 400 is a no-brainer.

All the WR250 owners will insist you should get the 250.  I'm a WR400 owner, and I think you should get whichever bike fits your riding needs better.

• crazychimpjimbo

Posted February 01, 2014 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, as much as a lot of you go on about new bikes or power it does all depend on the rider, and skills off road. My skills aint amazing! hahaha

just going to take my time deciding. Here in the uk the trails are tight, muddy, narrow. Yet I seen 250's - 450's handle equally. Thats why I I'm Puzzled!! I was thinking maybe this 2003 250, then maybe a 290 kit, Air box ork, FMF megabomb with factory exhaust, yzf exhaust cam, then carb tweaked to jet right So Good move??

Guess I have another question for you and that is I have two sets of wheels, Was thinking of have supermoto tyres on one for when im on the road. Whats the technical issues with doing this? I will be keep the gearing the same, the slick tyres will give me 80mph + and thats all I need ;)

• Tanis

Posted February 06, 2014 - 01:41 AM

I don't understand why you would put that kind of money into an old bike. use it to get a newer one the 03 is a dinosaur compared to the updated later models that you could get if you did not get all of that add on stuff that wont make it even come close to a newer bike.

• DunmireD001

Posted February 06, 2014 - 03:18 AM

I'll go the best route on this one and say to save up for a wr450f. I know price is always the issue, but you don't want to sink money into a bike you are unsure about. An 03 wr450f has the reliability, power, and suspension you need. Its definatly trail worthy, definatly has the power, and for your supermoto thoughts, it is the perfect bike. The wr400 is just sadly outdated and kind of heavy/ sluggish. Yes it has power, but if you were to hop on a different bike, odds are you would not like the 400. The 250 is a great bike, but if power is the concern, then power will always be the concern. Just kill both of those birds and go for the clear choice

• crazychimpjimbo

Posted February 09, 2014 - 11:56 AM

I'll go the best route on this one and say to save up for a wr450f. I know price is always the issue, but you don't want to sink money into a bike you are unsure about. An 03 wr450f has the reliability, power, and suspension you need. Its definatly trail worthy, definatly has the power, and for your supermoto thoughts, it is the perfect bike. The wr400 is just sadly outdated and kind of heavy/ sluggish. Yes it has power, but if you were to hop on a different bike, odds are you would not like the 400. The 250 is a great bike, but if power is the concern, then power will always be the concern. Just kill both of those birds and go for the clear choice

Hi all

Think I just like the idea of working on a bike to make it better in all honesty!

I have sat down and finally decided its simply easier to get a WR450F, spend money on the essentials like exhaust, decals, bars, etc to personalise it. This is purely for the look and noise as the 450 has enough power and some for me! I've found a 2004 WR450F, pretty much as stock as they come, seems a good price so will try a little price knocking down and see what happens!

Now I'm completely set on this I am still looking to do road miles once or twice a week and still looking into having 2 sets of wheels, knobbles on 1, road tyres on the others sm style. Anyone know of any common problems?? I'm just wondering is the chain going to suffer and disc's and pads?? 

Thanks for all your help and pointing me in the right direction!!

• DunmireD001

Posted February 09, 2014 - 02:51 PM

Now I'm completely set on this I am still looking to do road miles once or twice a week and still looking into having 2 sets of wheels, knobbles on 1, road tyres on the others sm style. Anyone know of any common problems?? I'm just wondering is the chain going to suffer and disc's and pads??

Thanks for all your help and pointing me in the right direction!![/quote]

Brakes: your rears will be fine. The front you "may" want to upgrade to a bigger master cylinder, and steel braided brake line. There are front brake kits pretty cheap online. The stock brakes just don't have the power to lock up the front tire. You could run the stock one as I did, but you run a risk if you ever need to stop on a dime.

As for the sm wheels and tires I would say try to keep the rear tire width a 150 or less (width ways) I know a 160 will run chain and not wear evenly through riding.

And for chain and sprockets I would keep the stock setup for the knobbies. (Should be like a 14 up front, 50 in rear) As this setup is geared low for trails. The stock setup will run 55-60 mph comfortably, but after that you start to get higher into the Rpm's

For your sm setup you should run a 15 tooth sprocket up front, with a 43 on the rear. This will give you good low range torque, and you can ride 70 comfortably. Not to mention it will be better for your engine because you can keep your Rpm's lower.

I would keep a full separate chain/sprocket setup between the sm and knobbies setup. That way they will wear evenly and give you the most life out of them. Also when you go to a 43 in the rear, your stock chain will be too long.

Other than that with this setup you will need to have a front brake caliper extender arm,(if you run a bigger rotor)
And you will need to remove the rear chain guide for the sm setup.

• crazychimpjimbo

Posted February 09, 2014 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the info! Think I will possibly look into braided hoses for added braking strength otherwise will run stock. Definitely will be looking into the whole 2 chains and sprocket sets makes perfect sense to me! Thanks for the tyre width tip!

Guess I just need to buy one first before I get carried away dreaming about FMF parts etc!! haha

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.